• What does SEPTA do with it's scrap rail?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Delkal

What does SEPTA do with it's scrap rail and offcuts (and other railroad scrap)? I have been looking for a few 1 to 2 foot sections of old rail for projects. Does anyone know of a SEPTA yard with a big pile of old track in back? Also, If I go there (cash in hand) how likely is it that I can get a few sections, or is it against their policy.
  by AlexC

If you just want rail, you might have better luck in Montgomery County. They're replaced the Perkiomen Branch of the RDG with a trail. In doing so, they've cleaned out the remaining track, ties, spikes and plates. There was a pile of stuff in Green Lane park.

by jfrey40535

There's a few scrap pieces around Southampton Station from when the fiber optic line was put in during the late '90's.

by PARailWiz

I think most rail that's any good is recycled...at the new Mustin Intermodal yard in South Philadelphia nearly all of the rail is recycled from the Main Line and other places.

There was some rail along the Rt 100 as recently as last summer...I can't remember precisely where though.

by Tadman

rail has a higher carbon content, so the stuff that is so shot it can't be re-laid is sold to places like Chicago Heights Steel (www.chs.com) and is melted and remade into other useful items.

by Otto Vondrak

SEPTA's not going to hand you a piece of scrap rail an say, "Have a nice day." Even a two-foot section of rail weighs about 50 lbs. What kind of project are you working on, anyway?

-otto-

by Delkal

Thanks guys. Based on everyones replies I started looking around at the abandoned stations near Newtown. I went to where the Newtown station used to be. (It is now a fenced industrial yard!) I talked with the owners about buying some scrap. They said all of the rail was gone but they did have a big pile of I-beams and scrap metal. I searched the pile and found a 6 foot piece of rail.

I did see the sections of rail in Southampton (Thanks for the lead). I now understand why they were still there after 10 years. They were about 30 feet long and probably weigh over a ton each. They need to bring in some heavy machinery to move them. (Plus, I'm sure you would get in trouble if you took them). For me cutting a rail is very difficult so a small piece already cut is preferred.

Otto- I want to use a section as an anvil to try some metalworking/knifemaking (and maybe make a set of bookends). The steel in old rail is harder than most modern anvils and it is much cheaper.

Thank You,
Delkal