• West Trenton railfanning

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Otto Vondrak

How is West Trenton as a railfan spot? I've seen pictures and heard reports... is this a busy area to see CSX traffic and SEPTA traffic? I assume busier on weekdays? Any and all information is appreciated.

-otto-

by njtmnrrbuff

West Trenton is fairly busy from what I've heard. I have only been there once but it was quick, because I was just coming off a Septa train and transferring to a bus to downtown trenton. Other than rush hour, septa serves that station hourly. You get plenty of notice before a train comes.

by BrianM

For freight action, the best times are early morning and late at night. You can only sit on the "Out Bound" side of the station. There are signals clearly visable for a good warning when trains are coming.

Brian
www.srnjrr.com

by Rivetjoint

West Trenton is a good safe place to watch the action. The Ewing Town-
ship police are pretty easy-going and rarely stop by. I've been going
there for years (only live about 5 miles away) and while the inbound
side is posted private property/no parking, on weekends it isn't much of
an issue because the architectural firm which owns the main station
building is closed and its employees don't need parking places. Location
can be ideal because you're about midway between Langhorne PA and
Glenmore (Pennington NJ) defect detectors, although I don't always hear
Langhorne.

by Silverliner II

Better reverse the "outbound/inbound" definitions.

"Outbound" at that point is considered as coming from Center City Philadelphia, and that side is the private property mentioned. All parking, and seating is on the Inbound platform (towards Center City).

by Rivetjoint

Silverliner II wrote:Better reverse the "outbound/inbound" definitions.

"Outbound" at that point is considered as coming from Center City Philadelphia, and that side is the private property mentioned. All parking, and seating is on the Inbound platform (towards Center City).
Never looked at it that way...but I see your point regarding Philly. Thx.

by Silverliner II

You're welcome! :-D