• Wellington 3rd Track Removal

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by helium

I was at Wellington last night during one of the T's many "unannounced" dumping of all passengers (why don't they let you know earlier!), when I noticed the 3rd rail on that disused express track had been removed. What's up?

by efin98

was it north of the station that it was removed or south of the station? North of the station I can understand as it ends past the station but south of the station would make no sense- it's still in use!

by Ed Canney

They are replacing ties on the third track south of the station and on the bridge that goes over the Mystic River.
  by willfh

they will be testing the new blue line cars there shortly

by jrc520

O.O

When? I must see this. Darn it, I need to renew my photo pass.
  by efin98

willfh wrote:they will be testing the new blue line cars there shortly
Is there any special installation for the tests or just renovating the tracks?

by The Collector at Court St

The new Blue Line cars, which look like they're going to be delayed about 6 months, will test on the Blue Line only. The idea of using the Orange Line test track was changed when they realized there was no way to lift the 50' cars. The plan was to use some portable lifts from the Red Line, but the floor at Wellington shops would not handle the weight. It also didn't make sense to send shop crews from the "Heights" to Wellington very time they had to check something on the new cars.

So.... if all goes well with the new schedule, plan on staying up late next August between the hours of 1:30am and 5:00am to get your pictures!