• WC Hayes Mechanical Bell

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Eric Mezzo

I was thinking of buying a mechanical bell from WC Hayes. I was going to get the 0333-2 model so I could use low voltage electricity with it. What do you think the average MSRP price would be for bells like this or any new mechanical crossing bell for that matter? Would they even sell them to individual people other than selling them to railroad companies? Help would be much appreciated.

And NO!! I refuse to get a bell from eBay. The ones they sell are all old and damaged and most sellers do not know if they work or not. I want mine to at least work. Is that so much to ask?
  by NV290

Eric Mezzo wrote:I was thinking of buying a mechanical bell from WC Hayes. I was going to get the 0333-2 model so I could use low voltage electricity with it. What do you think the average MSRP price would be for bells like this or any new mechanical crossing bell for that matter? Would they even sell them to individual people other than selling them to railroad companies? Help would be much appreciated.

And NO!! I refuse to get a bell from eBay. The ones they sell are all old and damaged and most sellers do not know if they work or not. I want mine to at least work. Is that so much to ask?
WC Hayes should be able to sell you one no problem. You will more then likley have to simply send them a check since you do not have an account with them.

My guess is you would be looking at $500.00 or more for that bell new. I can get you an exact price if you want. A friend of mine works there and i can call him in the AM if you would like. $500 is a bit high for something only to be used by a collector. I found one years ago in a junk pile at a yard i was working in in MD. It was pretty banged up cosmetically and even had some water inside it. But it works fine. There is really not much too them other then two coils and a hammer. No motors or anything really complex or electronic. I think it would be very hard to "break" one.

I would suggest Ebay simply because even in the rare instance the item did not work, getting the parts to repair it would still be FAR cheaper then buying a new one. Otheriwse, go to your nearest railroad yard and talk to some of the signal department guys. Many railroads are replacing mechanical bells for Electronic bells and you may find they have some lying around.
  by Eric Mezzo

Yes, that would be wonderful if you could contact him for the price. I guess if they are really that expensive, I guess I'll have to settle for eBay if all else fails. The help would be much appreciated. Thank you! :-D

by NV290

Just got off the phone with WC Hayes.

Good news for you, they are cheaper then i had estimated....

The 105-115 VAC versions are $410.00

The 6-16 VDC versions are $245.00

The 6-16 VAC/DC versions are $290.00

There is no model called a 0333-2, but go on the website to see the models they offer.