• Way West of Gardner Gawking, 07-23-2011

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by jaymac

It had been a period of time since I visited the West End, so 07-23-2011 was the day.
Totally unseen and by radio only, AD-1 was having water-woes. 326 was the leader and had only a broken wiper blade, but 610 had no H2O, and 305 was low. After a conference with D-3 and mebbe an off-air D-3/Chief conference, AD-1 got permission to head east through the tunnel at 1009. They did make it because a later conversation was between AD-1 and Deerfield Yard at 1343.
Johnsonville Tower is an exemplar of the strength of brick and the frailty of glass-and-metal sash. There appears to be a new metal-skinned door in place.
The few times before I had stopped at Eagle Bridge (weekdays), there had been cars there for interchange. At 1130 on this Saturday, there were none.
If you're going to be at East Portal to photograph a train and have the time, check a bit to the east to see if anything's at 415 -- Hoosac Tunnel Road, the rickety-looking and sounding bridge. There wasn't anything moving, and I'm not a photographer, but at 1255, there was an uncrewed westbound with NewBlues 612, 313 (the one with the OldPaint cab door), and 350 plus enough cars to probably get close to CPF-414.
In that area, be prepared -- especially on weekends -- for lots of kayak/tube-related traffic on Rte. 2 and River Road from Charlemont through Zoar and up to East Portal. Like those of the train-watching affliction, kayakers/tubers (not potatoes) sometimes let their attention drift from the road, and transiting the single-lane UG bridge can be an adventure.
Except for ED Yard and TCs, the radio was fairly quiet. There was more CSX and CP/DH traffic than PAR.