• Waverly Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CR80MAC

Is Waverly Yard reached by the Waverly Spur or Island Running Track? How many tracks is it?

Thanks!

by Jtgshu

Unless the small yard at the Bud plant is a remnant of Waverly yard, and still called waverly yard, the entire yard is gone as far as i know, and was located at the location of the current Newark International Airport stop. The only thing running through there are two tracks, which merge into one, which comes out onto the NEC at Lane interlocking to track 2, and is called "lane running track" at least according to the NJT physical Characterics book

by BlockLine_4111

There is an excellent website with PRR interlocking and track diagrams for the Waverly Yard (WA) network. I'll have to search and post if you want to see it.

by 1st Barnegat

Also try http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Prr/M ... k/lane.gif. Shows LANE Interlocking circa 1960. Shows interlocking diagram but not yards. Today the flyover contains two NJT tracks with one NS track below. As can be seen from the diagram, PRR had it as one PRR track over and two PRR freight tracks under.

by Jtgshu

Oddly enough, Lane interlocking has been expanded over the past 40 years. The interlocking is "complete" on the at grade tracks 2 to 5 (not including track 1 on the flyover) and is a big V - you can get from track 2 to track 5, and track 5 to track 2, in both directions. But the interlocking itself is "incomplete" because you cannot get from one side to the complete opposite side (track 5 to track 1 or A - because of the flyover, track one is inaccessable from the other tracks)

The flyover is only one track, it splits to two tracks A, and 1 past the crest of the hill and the bridge. This is also considered part of Lane interlocking.

Track 5 was a running track and used for industral use, adn to access Durant yard, but with the building of the airport stop, Track 5 became a main line and was reconfigured slightly and track A was created at EWR.

Odd to have this interlocking expanded (I don't know if it was when the airport stop was created or earlier) while other nearby interlockings were simplified, namely Elmora and Hunter.

The Lane running track is still heavily used, alhtough im sure not as much as in its heyday, but there are often freights sitting there waiting for clearance out onto the main

by 1st Barnegat

Jtgshu wrote:...The flyover is only one track, it splits to two tracks A, and 1 past the crest of the hill and the bridge. This is also considered part of Lane interlocking.

Track 5 was a running track and used for industral use, adn to access Durant yard, but with the building of the airport stop, Track 5 became a main line and was reconfigured slightly and track A was created at EWR.

Odd to have this interlocking expanded ...

...The Lane running track is still heavily used, alhtough im sure not as much as in its heyday, but there are often freights sitting there waiting for clearance out onto the main
Jt - Thanks for the correction on the flyover. I've only seen it from the inside of the NJT trains, and from a far distance at the EWR Station.

I thinks its good to have the interlocking expanded, and to see "freights sitting there waiting for clearance." Good to see America working!

by BlockLine_4111

good stuff!!! :wink:

by timz

"Odd to have this [Lane] interlocking expanded (I don't know if it was when the airport stop was created or earlier)..."

I remember seeing the general order about the signal bridges being shifted, and I'm pretty sure it was a few years before the Airport station opened. In other words, they put in the left-hand crossovers a few years before they added tracks A and 5. Maybe I can even find the GO.

by GandyDancer

I wonder if Waverly Transfer wasn't that area (track east of Waverly / EWR station) where the team tracks used to be. Currently this where you see the rusty old PRR box cars and where the wire train is sometimes kept.

Back in the day, there were several team tracks with ramps in there where cargo was shifted over from boxcars to be loaded onto trucks (before roadrailers were in use).

Bachmann or Plasticville actually modeled it - right down to the concrete paving with the asphalt separators.

In fact, looking at the picture I linked previously, it would be the paved area just past the Rt. 21 elevated portion - where the trailers are parked. You can see a pretty long platform leading up to what I think is a freight house. The concrete platforms are gone (this is late '60's juding by the cars in the parking lot in another of these photos) by now but it's not yet an MOW storage area.

http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/nj/n ... 2354pv.jpg
Last edited by GandyDancer on Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by timz

Looks like 1991 would be a good guess for when the left-hand x-overs were added at Lane. A 4/91 GO mentions the interlocking being conrolled from Hunter and the eastward signals being moved west; I don't think it mentions the westward signals, but they may have already been moved east.

by Jtgshu

That was/is Hunter St. yard, and I believe I read somewhere that that was a produce loading/unloading facility for the PRR. I think I saw it in Triumph V somewhere.

by Lackawanna484

Jtgshu wrote:That was/is Hunter St. yard, and I believe I read somewhere that that was a produce loading/unloading facility for the PRR.
Yes.

by BigDell

Wow! Some terrific pics of the old Newark Airport as well! I can even see an old United Airlines DC-8 in the north terminal. All prior to the current setup. These are great, great pics! Yet another bonus of logging into this forum. Thanks Gandydancer!

BigDell

(ideal trip - and I do it annually - a 747 nonstop to Narita Japan followed by a one hour Narita express train to Yokohama... airplane and railroad heaven)