• Was I dreaming?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by james1787

I'm not sure if I was dreaming this morning or if I saw what I saw. On my way into Hoboken this morning via the Morris and Essex lines somewhat before the tunnels I noticed off to my right perhaps two older maroon heavyweight pullmans off to the right. I was probably dreaming.. but I'm not sure. :wink: Maybe someone else saw them?

by nick11a

I've seen vintage coaches sitting around the MMC at various times in the past. Not sure what they were, but they could perhaps be what you saw?

by Diamond_D

this is way off topic but it reminded my of my favorite railfanning experience... I was out in Field, BC this summer with my girlfriend, and we were driving back from Lake Louise to our lodge, and in the area we were going through there were just a few quick glimpses of the track... well, one of those glimpses I could have Sworn I saw an old heavyweight style coach going the opposite way... I had researched the Royal CP and it wasn't supposed to be running, but I made my gf turn the car around and speed back the way we came, sure enough I wasn't seeing things and it was the Royal CP deadheading toward Calgary, and it was absolutely gorgeous. Crummy weather lead to mediocre photographs, but it was a great memory and an exciting chase all the way back to Banff

by Tri-State Tom

james -

Not an uncommon site particularly over the past 5-6 years or so.

8 times out of 10 these 'private varnish' sitings are related to the Morristown & Erie operations....either dropping off or picking up these coaches at the MMC ( for interchange with NS/CSX ) to/from their Morristown home base where several are owned by the M&E ( charter service ) or others stored/serviced for their owners in Whippany.