Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by Schuylkill Valley

I have a friend that has been writing a book on a local railroad in the Chester County, Pa. for the past 25 years. He has been in search of a Presidential coach that was used by Eisenhouer and Nixon on their campains. The coach was a PRR Pullman built in 1913 , it was last painted in Green with Delaware with the No. 90. It has an open platform.

It was moved from St. Peters Village in 1970 to Ambler to be uesed as a Restaurateur called Coach Inn. The owener at that time was J.A. Meyer as the news paper states.

Any information on where this coach may be would be great.

Thank you,
Len and James Lockart.

by Nacho66

I have some bad news for you. Delaware 90 was torched for scrap on location at the Coach Inn sometime around '89-'90.
I remember having dinner in it as a kid in the mid-'70's.
It's hard to believe such an important American artifact wasn't saved.
I also remember as a kid the nightmare of getting those cars to their new home. The Reading brought them up the Bethlehem Branch and sat them on a now long gone siding at Ft. Washington from which they were trucked to the Coach Inn site. There were some height clearance issues as I remember on Commerce Dr.
What a waste.

by Schuylkill Valley

Question? The coach that you rember , do you have any pictures of it ?

When the coach was moved from St. Peters Village back in 1974 it was moved by the McCue Brothers of New Hope & Ivyland "fame" So I'm not sure how it could have been moved by the Beth branch of the Reading Co.

Thanks,
Len.

by Nacho66

My Dad was the main advertising consultant for Meyer and the Coach Inn. Maybe I'm wrong about Delaware 90 (not the scrapping though, unfortunately) going to Ft. Wash., but I was there when Elysian Fields was delivered to the siding and subsequently moved to the Coach Inn site.
Again - what a waste.

by Schuylkill Valley

Question?
Is your Father still a live and if he is can he give a more detail on how they got the coach from St. Peters village to the Coach Inn. also do you have any pics?

Thanks ,
Len.

by Nacho66

Sadly, my Dad passed away 5 years ago. As for pictures, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Perhaps the Ambler Gazette (part of Montgomery Newspapers Inc.) would have some old files covering the event. I remember the grand opening and movements of the cars were covered in that paper.
Where the Ft. Wash. park and ride lot is today used to be an abandoned concrete plant with rail sidings.
I hope I've been a help.