• Walthers AMD 103

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

What? Where? Point to the link to the product listing, not your seach string.

-otto-

by mlrr

The page does not have a link to the product itself but it is in the 3rd table from the top.

Here's the info from the page:

Athearn Inc Walthers Mfg # 140

Item # Description Scale Price Stock? Expected
99176 Diesel AMD-103 Powered - Walthers Exclusive Model -- Amtrak(R) #7 (High Stripe) HO 86.98 N 30-Sep-2005

99177 Diesel AMD-103 Powered - Walthers Exclusive Model -- Amtrak(R) #47 (High Stripe) HO 86.98 N 30-Sep-2005

I copied it straight from the page and I apologize that the information did not copy over as neatly as I would have liked it to.

by astrosa

FWIW, before anyone gets all antsy, the "High Stripe" designation is an error in the description and NOT the models. They will come with the more recent "Low Stripe" variant as the prototype #7 and #47 should.

by mlrr

That's really good news Alex! I was a bit concerned about the high stripe designations myself as I prefer the low stripe on these locos anyway.

Where did you get this information?

by astrosa

I know a Walthers employee (I believe he works in the sales department) who is also an avid Amtrak modeler, and he confirmed that the models would in fact be correct. If anyone's curious, he also informed me that the scheduled re-release of the Walthers F40PH will feature only a new motor, no other changes.
  by paulrail

Does your friend at Walthers know what roads the re-released F40PHs will be offered in?

Paul

by astrosa

Check the Walthers website. They've been listed there for quite some time now, it's not exactly secret information. (Perhaps the choice of roadnames is an indicator of how well or poorly the roadnames from the original run were selling.)

No word on roadnumbers yet, though.

by AmtrakPhill629

I plan on buying the new amd 103's in phase 5, but i would like to expand my phase 5 fleet without using the Units made by walthers. should i try to paint an undecorated unit or should i buy the walthers and and strip the numbers and replace it with decaled numbers?
  by R143MAN

The best bet is to buy as many walthers units as you can, and re decal them. Nothin much to it at all.

by RPM2Night

So these will be DCC ready, right? Also, do you folks know if the ditch lights and tail lights will function, or will it just be the two center headlights that operate?
  by steemtrayn

R143MAN wrote:The best bet is to buy as many walthers units as you can, and re decal them. Nothin much to it at all.
And as soon as you're done, the model will be released in that scheme.

by Amtrk14

RPM2Night wrote:So these will be DCC ready, right? Also, do you folks know if the ditch lights and tail lights will function, or will it just be the two center headlights that operate?
These new loco's will be DCC Ready and will have directional lighting. They will not have working ditch lights.

Sean

by mlrr

These new loco's will be DCC Ready and will have directional lighting. They will not have working ditch lights.

Where did you get this information from?