• Walden Pond

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Red Wing

I was wondering if anyone here had any information on the picnic area run by the Fitchburg RR on the backside of Walden Pond. I believe that it was closed by the B&M around 1904.

by 130MM

I checked the valuation plan for that area. It shows a large plot of land on the side of the track away from the pond that was owned by the railroad. It was, however, marked as "not in use". The plot was shown as having being sold to a private party some time later. The RR also owned right down to the water's edge. That part was sold to the state in 1927.

There was also a note that there used to be an overhead bridge in this area. At the time the map was drawn (1915+/-) the bridge was already gone. This indicates that there was something there; possibly to allow picnicers to get over to the pond to swim?

Maybe a search of postcard collections would supply something better.

by NellsChoo

I was curious about that area as well. Last time I was at the pond, I walked up to the tracks. Pretty easy to do! I wonder if that spot used to be something...

by Red Wing

Yah the bridge was destroyed by fire in 1904, it did carry people from both sides of the park, some of the supports can still be seen.

The Concord Conservation land had ball fields and a bicycle race track.

The State Reservation side had the swimming, swings, train station and, a dancing hall. If you walk along the tracks on the Pond Path you can see where the train station was if you look closely.

Working at Walden I always get scared everytime I hear that whistle blowing on the backside of the pond, people don't realize (or don't care) that the tracks are still active.

Thanks for your help guys and I'll look for some postcards.