• W.Springfield Trash Trains

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by woowoo1

I have been seeing more and more 'trash' or construction debris cars on the trains heading west from Springfield. This past week I saw over a hundred cars on one train alone. It was followed by a mixed train carring even more. Still more were still in the yard! Anyone have information about these trains, like where the stuff comes from? Going to... etc. I have looked in the forum's history back about a year and haven't seen anything yet. Thanks Jim

by CSX Conductor

Since it is a CSXT train, perhaps looking in the CSX forum. As for trash, it is a very big business nowadays. There are several customers that load trash into hoppers from placese such as Champion Scrap as well as Trojan Recycling, both in Brockton. There is also a big trash operation out of Beacon Park Yard in Brighton in which containers full of trash are loaded onto flats, like the West Springfield operation. There are also many shippers of scrap metal, with one of the bigger ones down in Cedar Hill somewhere. :wink:

by woowoo1

Thanks. I still haven't gotten out of the 'Conrail Mentality' and didn't even think of posting on CSX. Will do... thanks for the help.
  by gawlikfj

I heard the Providence & Wooster RR were hauling trash trains but there is a dispute going on between the P&W and CSX.

Anybody have anymore info on this subject ?
  by bobbarbn

The P&W does, indeed, haul trash in Connecticut. The trains originate from Murphy Road Recyclers in Portland, CT, travel across the Ct. Rive on the Middletown Swing Bridge, then go north on the former NHRR Valley Branch to Hartford. The cars are then interchanged with the CSOR near the Charter Oak Bridge. CSOR then adds them to additional trash cars from the Hartofrd plant of Murphy Road Recyclers (near Brainard Airport) and takes them to CSX at West Springfield.

The P&W trash trains generally run to Hartford on Thursdays, however there may be more or less traffic as demand dictates.The following web pages document some of the moves:

http://bobbarbn.homestead.com/ValleyLine.html[/url]
  by bobbarbn

Somehow the web site address I listed in my last post became corrupted. Here is the correct address. Sorry for the confusion.

http://bobbarbn.homestead.com/ValleyLine.html
  by wle1768

Would this trash business be loaded into NHRX 100 hoppers? I live near Negley, Ohio, where the Ohio Central brings in lots of these NHRX hoppers filled with construction debris and I was wondering where it came from? I know it comes into Youngstown on CSX. Thanks

by bobbarbn

To be honest, I have not paid much attention to the owner's of the cars hauling the trash so I went back and checked all the photos I have. I consistantly see SRAX, MECX and MRRX...but , so far, not NHRX.
  by LIL BUDDY

The NHRX cars are loaded somewhere in the New Haven CT area in CSX land.

by SLR 393

I believe they are loaded out at the C&D (construction & demolition debris) transload at cedar hill.
  by frrc

The State of MA is getting real picky on construction debris, with some rather strict rules taking effect this year. Most MA landfills will be banned from taking construction debris, so it will be cheaper/easier to haul it out of state.