• VRE to test pulling 10 cars with the V50 tomorrow

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

Tomorrow and tomorrow only trains 302 and 307 will consist of 10 cars to be pulled by the new engine V50. Our new locomotives are designed to easily pull a full 10 car set and we are inviting riders to ride these trains to help test that theory out.

302 departs Fredericksburg at 5:15am and 307 departs Union Station at 4:40pm. If you are able to help fill up these two trains tomorrow, we would certainly appreciate it.

They are normally 8 car trains, with only 5 cars making most platforms
  by chucksc

Anyone hear how the test went?

if it was f'burg only then it was probably not as rigorous a test as a Manassas line test would be because of more grades and curves..
  by the-rail-life

It was only Fred line and it went without a hitch! Very smooth ride. Couldn't even tell it had extra cars except the acceleration was a bit slower. Engineer had it all under control as well and only overran one station by one car (I ride the morning 8 car set, 302).

And unless my eyes deceived me, I believe 305 yesterday was ten cars as well instead of the usual eight on the Friday before a holiday. Seemed really long anyways. V50 was out front with a second engine on the rear. Not sure if it was a helper or if it was just being hauled back to Crossroads.