• VRE sells old gallery cars back to Chicago

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

In September 2016, the Commissions authorized the sale of seven VRE Legacy Passenger cars to Chicago Metra.

Since 2014, including this transaction, VRE has sold 13 Legacy Passenger cars to Chicago Metra to the mutual benefit of both commuter rail systems.

http://www.vre.org/about/board/board-ag ... icago-pdf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by bratkinson

Something is wrong with this picture. The linked document is clearly dated September 16, 2016...a full WEEK in the FUTURE of it's being posted.
  by MCL1981

Are VRE's gallery cars as awful as MARC's old galley cars? They were the rail equivalent of a 30yr old school bus.
  by STrRedWolf

I took the tour inside of a VRE car when Amtrak had National Train Day. I was not impressed. I really felt it had less seating than the MARC III's, due to the seating and load/offload arrangement. (It actually has more, but only because VRE is all low-level boarding making it feasible -- MARC is mixed level)