• VRE pleased with Keolis performance

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by chucksc

HokieNav wrote:It's not real, it doesn't even have a prime mover inside of it. It's just an empty shell and a sham to trick riders into thinking that VRE is doing something.

That, or they're still testing it.
Well since there are pix and such on the web of it "working", read testing, in the Burke area it would be hard to say it doesn't work, eh?

They're supposed to be having a "do" for all the muckety mucks at WUS today dedicating it... Most of NVA's congressional delegation should be there IIRC...
:P
  by LIRR272

Didn't MARC have problems with there units which caused them to be delivered a little late?
  by DutchRailnut

The units did not have problems but the testing required was being questioned by VRE and MPI.
Amtrak would not certify the units untill all testing was done, including those test VRE and MPI disputed.
  by HokieNav

Wow, you're batting 1.000 today, Dutch. Why would VRE be questioning the locomotives being placed in MARC service? Right theory, so very wrong in the details.
DutchRailnut wrote:The units did not have problems but the testing required was being questioned by VRE and MPI.
Amtrak would not certify the units untill all testing was done, including those test VRE and MPI disputed.
The real story is the MTA safety folks interpreted the FRA regs differently than MPI and every other commuter road that uses the MP units and wouldn't allow them to enter revenue service until the testing was complete (or the FRA came back and said the testing wasn't required - MARC asked and never got a favorable answer). After some negotiation on who was going to pay for the testing, it got completed and the units entered service. Not VRE or Amtrak.
  by cobra30689

chucksc wrote:
HokieNav wrote:It's not real, it doesn't even have a prime mover inside of it. It's just an empty shell and a sham to trick riders into thinking that VRE is doing something.

That, or they're still testing it.
Well since there are pix and such on the web of it "working", read testing, in the Burke area it would be hard to say it doesn't work, eh?

They're supposed to be having a "do" for all the muckety mucks at WUS today dedicating it... Most of NVA's congressional delegation should be there IIRC...
:P
LOL actually the "do" was in Alexandria off the AF siding. Had a good time. I brought the V50 down from Broad Run behind an F40, then the Fredricksburg boys came to collect it and bring it down there *grumble*

But I can assure you it runs, and runs well...I got to play with the new toy last weekend :P
Not sure if I agree with FB getting it before we do, considering we need the power, but whatcha gonna do?
  by the-rail-life

Wooo!! Fredericksburg line rocks!!! Sorry, had to get that out of my system. :wink:

For some reason (and VRE claims there really are good reasons), new equipment tends to populate the Fred line first. Not sure if it has to do with the maintenance facilities at XR or not. At any rate, that's fine by me if we get V50 first! Though with the huge problem Manassas line has with wheel-slip during the fall months, I do wonder how the MP36s would fare on that terrain.

Getting back to the initial topic, sure folks are upset. But they also know that there is no reason for Keolis to bid for a contract, win it, hire folks, certify them for CSX/NS/Amtrak territories, and then give up do a poor job. Engineers are going to have trouble spotting the train consistently (which has gotten far better, BTW, though they stop in different places than the old crew, which irks some people for some reason), there will be problems with the wheelchair lifts, etc. etc. But are those complaining about this forgetting the days of coupled trains, overshot platforms, bus offloads, and *gasp* derailments (1 time, CSX's fault 100%) that happened under Amtrak? It's been 3 weeks with Keolis! Even the crew, when there is a muckup, are the first to say, and I quote, "Sorry folks, we'll do better next time." No shrugging, no ignoring, no talkback. They know they're being scrutinized, and there's no reason for them to be malicious. After all, if Keolis goes bye-bye, they're out of a job. There is a kink somewhere for sure, and I'm not covering for them, just pointing out that the bitter attitude and nasty remarks about the new guys are just as off-putting as the comments about Amtrak intentionally not pulling their weight or flat-out sabotaging; it's getting tiresome.

Oh, as for the person who got 10 FRCs in 10 days? Amazing. I've gotten....none. So there's your other side of the coin on that issue. To be fair, I happened to be out the day there was an hour delay in the morning, but the other delays have been under 30 minutes, usually no more than 15, and 1 of them was for mechanical problems when they had to add an extra engine in the yard and were late arriving. They made up 8 minutes of that time between Fredericksburg and Alexandria. As a matter of fact, I just counted through my 4 FRCs that I racked up from back in early summer.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Yup, Cobra did run the new toy last Sunday. I brought train 51 into Washington Terminal and I knew he was running the new toy, and I wanted to ride with him but it looked like he had a boss up front so I didnt ask. LOL. I was jealous. He was running something new. Hehe
  by cobra30689

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Yup, Cobra did run the new toy last Sunday. I brought train 51 into Washington Terminal and I knew he was running the new toy, and I wanted to ride with him but it looked like he had a boss up front so I didnt ask. LOL. I was jealous. He was running something new. Hehe
LOL Budd it was only the MPI guys doing their testing...I'll get ya up there before too long :-D

Never mind the fact K Tower gave me a Restricting outta there and I wasn't too keen on taking it considering they wanted to stuff me behind 79...
  by gcavert

Aw man! No fair that the FB line gets the new toy! I was hoping to see it run through my neck of the woods.
  by davinp

gcavert wrote:Aw man! No fair that the FB line gets the new toy! I was hoping to see it run through my neck of the woods.
Yes, it was on FB Train #307 yesterday, which is an 8 car set.
  by strench707

davinp wrote:
gcavert wrote:Aw man! No fair that the FB line gets the new toy! I was hoping to see it run through my neck of the woods.
Is it running on its own now or still buddied up with another unit?

Davis
  by davinp

strench707 wrote:
davinp wrote:
Is it running on its own now or still buddied up with another unit?

Davis
V23 is in front of V50, so the engineer is not driving V50
  by DutchRailnut

Engineers do not drive (except for going home) we operate a locomotive.
  by strench707

I think its a pet peeve for some people, whether or not its correct.

Davis
  by strench707

I rode VRE today from Union to Broad Run and back just to test things out with the new Keolis crew and they were great! Very polite and talkative! The AC engineer and I had some good RR talk down in Broad Run on our little layover. They also let me film out the front of the train which was an issue before.

We were on time coming into BR and going NB we were ten minutes early by L'Enfant when we got a red because WUS didn't expect us so early. We ended up losin some time but still arriving one minute early.

Good ride, great workers!

Davis