• VRE eyes another fare increase in summer

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

The transit agency raised fares 3 percent in July and plans to raise them again Jan. 5, this time 7 percent. It is the first time the agency raised fares in the middle of a fiscal year. Straub said the agency had to pay a large settlement and didn’t anticipate the summer’s high fuel prices.

“It was disappointing that we had to do it,” she said, “because we really take a lot of time and care to put forth a balanced budget.”

But later this week, she said, VRE officials plan to discuss whether to raise fares another 6 percent in July.

Dunham said the fare increases are outpacing many riders’ pay raises. “We sympathize, but there really is need for a long-term stable funding source in Virginia,” he said.

VRE doesn't have a dedicated source of funding, and since the local subsidies can't pay more, they rely on customers to balance the budget. Unfortunately, this makes VRE fares more expensive than MARC

http://www.dcexaminer.com/local/122208- ... ummer.html
  by CHIP72

Nobody likes fare increases, but I think most people would prefer fare increases over significant service cuts (yes, I'm talking about you MARC).
  by HokieNav

CHIP72 wrote:Nobody likes fare increases, but I think most people would prefer fare increases over significant service cuts (yes, I'm talking about you MARC).
I agree - or at least something of a middle ground. Has VRE explored any service cuts to help balance the budget?
  by CHIP72

HokieNav wrote:
CHIP72 wrote:Nobody likes fare increases, but I think most people would prefer fare increases over significant service cuts (yes, I'm talking about you MARC).
I agree - or at least something of a middle ground. Has VRE explored any service cuts to help balance the budget?
To my knowledge VRE has talked about eliminating a couple of middle of the day trains, I think specifically #325/#336 on the Manassas Line. This pair of trains, which is actually one train making a roundtrip move from Union Station to Broad Run Airport (Manassas) and then back to Union Station, primarily serves people leaving early from work in Washington; it leaves Union Station at 1:10 PM. (That train also allows people living inside the DC Beltway to check out the Manassas Line and/or stations along the line without having to get up REALLY early in the morning or use Amtrak for one of the legs. I used #325 and #338 - the latter of which leaves Broad Run Airport at 5:10 PM and goes back to DC - to check out most of the Manassas Line and the town of Manassas itself back in late October.)