• VRE Consist Directions

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by strench707

Hello everyone!

Most of all times I have seen VRE Trains running with the Cab Car the North End and Loco on the South end but I have seen pictures of consists facing different directions. Are there any consists facing cab car south, or are there any times when this occurs?

Thanks
Davis
  by cobra30689

In most cases the engine faces south....as the drip trays in the yard are at the south end. Could the engine be on the north end, sure....but I've only ever experienced it when there is an issue with an engine....the protect engines always seem to face north. Wyeing engines seem to be a pain....they either have to go down to DC, or at Manassas(but an NS crew is needed...we aren't qualified in the yard...I did it once, they took over for me when i got there). There was talk about having the engines face north, but don't know what happened to the plan(think it has to do with the drip trays).
  by strench707

Thanks for the info! Are the drip pans easy to move or is it a problem with them since they are more fixed?

Thanks

Davis
  by davinp

Usually in the mornings, going North to Union Station the train is been operated by the cab and in the afternoons going South, to Fredericksburg/Manasas the train is operated from the Locomotive.
  by cobra30689

strench707 wrote:Thanks for the info! Are the drip pans easy to move or is it a problem with them since they are more fixed?

Thanks

Davis
They don't look all that easy lol.....pretty sure the rail has to be lifted a little....I could be wrong however.