• VRE considering selling more cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by TallEddie_81

VRE is considering selling its Kawasaki cars.
http://www.vre.org/about/Ops_board_item ... d_Gals.pdf

One of the reasons listed is "truck re-qualification". Is this something that is required of all commuter cars, or is this specific to the manufacturer? This is the most expensive of the items needing repair, the rest are the result of wear and tear.

I would really hate to see these cars go, the are the most comfortable of all the cars in the VRE fleet.

Is there a reason why these cars are in such a demand, where other agencies would want to buy them when they are not even for sale?

by octr202

Many agencies are seeing ridership increases, and procuring new equipment is often such a long process that short term gains can't be addressed quickly enough.

I'd have to assume one agency is MARC, since they operate similar cars. I'm definitely wondering who the other one is, as there's a very short list of places where those cars would be truly compatible.

by spvanhart

I just looked at the Kawasaki Railcar website and it would appear that in addition to MARC, other current owners or Kawasaki double-deckers are MBTA & LIRR, so I would assume that either one of them could also be possible suitors for the cars. I do believe the ideal fit for them would be MARC since MARC desperately needs additional cars and the VRE cars were originally a tac-on to the MARC order and are certified to 125MPH.
  by GP40MC1118

I believe the MBTA went down to look at something in the DC area this week. This apparently answers that question...

Dave

by DutchRailnut

The VRE cars are near identical to the MARC cars. The VRE cars would not fit on LIRR, their to high.

by realtype

About a year ago the MTA mentioned in their annual report that they would purchase the Kawasakis from VRE. They also mentioned in the Growth and Investment Plan released last fall that they would be acquiring some used cars this year. I think VRE is just waiting untill they receive their entire order of Gallery Cars before they sell the Kawasakis. I doubt anyone other than MARC will be buy them because MARC needs the cars, and nobody else uses a the type except the MBTA and LIRR (which use older models). It also would be fitting because it was because of an option placed on MARC's original order of 50 Kawasakis, why VRE received their 16 cars in the first place.

I have read on the VRE forum that because of a third-party cleaner using a harmful acid on the windows, they must all be replaced; Currently they are hard to see through.

by TallEddie_81

VRE has now posted a request for interested regarding the sale of the Kawasaki cars.

http://www.vre.org/about/procurement/RFI_08-013.pdf

For those interested, the last page contains links to pics of the interior of the cars, including one shot of the controls in the cab car.

by realtype

It seems kind of ungrateful that VRE places the bidders on a level playing field, instead of giving preference to MARC, who allowed them to get the cars in the first place, are the only ones that operate the same type, and probably need them the most.

by scotty269

Are there any special things about these cars? SEPTA is on the lookout for additional cars, with rumors of looking at old NJT Comets.

by RVRR 15

realtype wrote:About a year ago the MTA mentioned in their annual report that they would purchase the Kawasakis from VRE
New York MTA? Where would they run them? Maximum height for bilevels running into either New York station is 14 feet 6 inches, and these cars are quite a bit taller than that.
TheOneCalledA1 wrote:Are there any special things about these cars?
Automatic trap doors, IINM. (If these cars fit on SEPTA clearance-wise, some engineering genius connected with their upper management might be inspired to retrofit Silverliner IVs and the single-level BBD push-pulls with automatic traps, so watch out if that happens...)

by DutchRailnut

I believe he means Maryland MTA the operator of MARC.

by TallEddie_81

realtype wrote:It seems kind of ungrateful that VRE places the bidders on a level playing field, instead of giving preference to MARC, who allowed them to get the cars in the first place, are the only ones that operate the same type, and probably need them the most.
As a VRE rider, we have had to endure the problems of the 40+ year old callery cars VRE currently operates. VRE is just months away from having a full fleet of new cars. Selling the Kawasakis would mean bringing back some of the old cars in the interim.

VRE is in a good position, they received offers from 2 agencies for equipment that is NOT for sale. They should take advantage of the apparent demand for this equimpent to work the best deal they can.

by realtype

TallEddie_81 wrote:As a VRE rider, we have had to endure the problems of the 40+ year old callery cars VRE currently operates. VRE is just months away from having a full fleet of new cars. Selling the Kawasakis would mean bringing back some of the old cars in the interim.

VRE is in a good position, they received offers from 2 agencies for equipment that is NOT for sale. They should take advantage of the apparent demand for this equimpent to work the best deal they can.
MARC also operates a handful (8-12) of those ancient Metra gallery cars (coaches only, no cabs) on two Brunswick Line consists. In fact I missed my usual train and had to ride in one of them this morning. I don't understand how people can ride in these things: you can't sleep because of the short seatbacks, the seat cushions provide no support at all, and the ride is harsh. I've actually overheard one conductor liken riding in a gallery car to riding in a school bus.

While I do feel sorry for the VRE riders, VRE is recieving 50 brand new (gallery) cars this year which should alleviate your pain. If MARC gets VRE's Kawasakis (which I still think is MARC's right), they can probably use them to replace their gallery cars.

btw. Not that it matters since MARC will, more than likely, get the cars, but does anyone know who the other bidder is?

by octr202

Other bidders? MBTA would be the most logical choice (other operator of similar cars, also hinted at above), SEPTA might be a possibility if the cars could clear at least some parts of their system (that might be a long shot).

by Matt Johnson

It seems rather odd that VRE is selling these very young cars. I suppose they want to standardize the fleet, but why did they decide on gallery cars? I thought passengers hated those things!