Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by mncommuter

Great pics. Thanks for sharing!
The low angle view of CDOT FL-9 2026 is my favorite.

by Fred G

Great photos! I'm glad you got the VRE cars in action. I've been on the lookout for them but hadn't seen them until today at OSB. They pulled in at quarter after 5, unfortunately in darkness.

Still, I managed to squeeze out a few shots:

http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery/VRE01

I have no idea if they're always going to be running in that timeframe or if they may see daylight in the afternoon. Otherwise, it may be some early morning railfanning.

by mncommuter

Is it just me, or do the VRE cars look wider than the MN cars? If so, why wouldn't MN design their cars wider?

by DutchRailnut

the VRE cars appear to be wider but are not. they are actualy a little narrower than Bombardier but slightly higher. i was in new haven today taking pictures of the cars and will post them tomorrow.

by Mr Met

Are the cabcars in service yet

by DutchRailnut

No the cab car Cabsignal systems have to be modified and ACSES added, only two coaches are currently in service.
and Mr D Telesha if you used Tinyurl you would not have URL's as long as yours and we would not have a tread 2 feet wide.

by Silverliner II

Great pics!!!

I need to get back into the habit of taking stills once in a while. I have not taken any kind of still photos since 1996 when I got the video camera....
  by nh chris

I enjoyed a standout 24-hour period of railfanning this week. First, as I walked down the westbound platform to get to my car at Riverside on 11/30, an Amtrak Metroliner pulled thru on Track 4, going about 3 mph. Luckily, the engineer didn't toot his horn. Nice audio-visual experience.

As soon as he cleared the station, the Acela passed by on an express track, then a "G-string" Genesis.

Great, I thought, no muss, no fuss, a pretty good day for trainspotting.

It improved the next day, though, I took the 5:16 from GCT all the way to NH (which was a nice change from my usual M-2 trips). As we pulled through South Norwalk, there was an FL-9 (didn't get the number) waiting with the Danbury shuttle. And when we got to NH, what was across the platform but an SLE GP-38, pulling some VRE coaches! They looked nice and clean, as others round here have noted.

So, without really trying, I saw 5 different engines in action in a single day. Even better for this NH fan, two of the engines were in NH colors. But sorry, no pics.

NH Chris