• VRE & MARC Holiday Schedule

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

VRE and MARC have the same holiday schedules this year:

Wed., Dec 24 - "S" Schedule
Thur., Dec 25 - No Service
Friday, Dec 26 - No Service
Mon., Dec 29 - Wed, Dec. 31 - "S" Schedule
Thur., Jan 1 - No Service
Fri., Jan 2 - "S" Schedule
Mon., Jan 5 - Regular Service Resumes
  by realtype

davinp wrote:VRE and MARC have the same holiday schedules this year:

Wed., Dec 24 - "S" Schedule
Thur., Dec 25 - No Service
Friday, Dec 26 - No Service
Mon., Dec 29 - Wed, Dec. 31 - "S" Schedule
Thur., Jan 1 - No Service
Fri., Jan 2 - "S" Schedule
Mon., Jan 5 - Regular Service Resumes
Oh, so that's how MARC came up with the cuts...Just copy the VRE schedule. The MTA seems to forget that VRE is a small Southern commuter system with two lines and half the ridership. The Penn Line is virtually intercity service, like NJT's NEC line, and MBTA's Providence/Stoughton Line. I'm sure Washingtonians and Marylanders would like to be able to get to BWI without having to drive there (or take the Metrobus B30).
  by Kaback9

I don't understand Why MARC could not run the Penn Line on weekends I'm sure the ridership is there. I hate having to go to DC on the weekends b/c Amtrak trains are a mess when we hit Baltimore theres a flood of people who board, and coming home from DC on the weekends are not fun either the trains are full until Baltimore or BWI when they really let out, I keep thinking why can't MARC just run on the weekends and make it easier for all of us going on to NYP or Boston. At least Septa has started running late night trains so Philly to Trenton is not that bad. It kills me to see the platform at Baltimore full when right across are tied up MARC trains, brilliant planning there MD. sorry for my rant but I have had enjoyable rides ruined by people getting on or off at Baltimore heading to DC or back from DC
  by realtype

Kaback9 wrote:I don't understand Why MARC could not run the Penn Line on weekends I'm sure the ridership is there. I hate having to go to DC on the weekends b/c Amtrak trains are a mess when we hit Baltimore theres a flood of people who board, and coming home from DC on the weekends are not fun either the trains are full until Baltimore or BWI when they really let out, I keep thinking why can't MARC just run on the weekends and make it easier for all of us going on to NYP or Boston. At least Septa has started running late night trains so Philly to Trenton is not that bad. It kills me to see the platform at Baltimore full when right across are tied up MARC trains, brilliant planning there MD. sorry for my rant but I have had enjoyable rides ruined by people getting on or off at Baltimore heading to DC or back from DC
Uh, MARC was actually planning to start weekend service on the Penn Line in June, but Amtrak employee and scheduling issues, as well as the ongoing budget constraints snuffed the plan. So, don't expect weekend service until this recession is over and Amtrak cooperates (at least two years).

BTW The proposed weekend service is supposed to benefit MARC customers (Marylanders, Washingtonians, West Virginians, and soon to be Delawareans and Virginians). Not Amtrak customers annoyed by full trains. (Everybody gets a seat don't they?)
  by Kaback9

I'll be happy if it benefits MARC customers it will mean that I will be able to get on my train with out being knocked down or finding my stuff moved so that people heading to Balitmore can sit together.

Ps. I'm allowed to rant, I usaually would not mind but too many people on weekend trains heading to Baltimore or getting on there have caused headaches for me that I don't get when I take the train to Boston or Philly. Why? B/C there is a commuter option that locals take.
  by jb9152

Kaback9 wrote:I'll be happy if it benefits MARC customers it will mean that I will be able to get on my train with out being knocked down or finding my stuff moved so that people heading to Balitmore can sit together.
Why are you putting your "stuff" on seats on a crowded train?
  by Kaback9

jb9152 wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:I'll be happy if it benefits MARC customers it will mean that I will be able to get on my train with out being knocked down or finding my stuff moved so that people heading to Balitmore can sit together.
Why are you putting your "stuff" on seats on a crowded train?
Because I got up to go to the bathroom.
  by HokieNav

Move your feet? Lose your seat!

Take your stuff with you, and you won't find it moved... ;)
  by Kaback9

HokieNav wrote:Move your feet? Lose your seat!

No thats where your wrong. If I leave my coat and a book open I'm obviously coming back. Don't move my stuff If I see someones stuff open on a seat and no one around i assume they are sitting there and that the seat next to them is open not both.
  by davinp

Kaback9 wrote:

No thats where your wrong. If I leave my coat and a book open I'm obviously coming back. Don't move my stuff If I see someones stuff open on a seat and no one around i assume they are sitting there and that the seat next to them is open not both.
I've seen people get up from their seat to use the restroom and leave a newspaper or personal item on the seat. Their is nothing wrong with that.

Of VRE's 61 new cars, 40 have restrooms (20 cabs & 20 coaches), so a 6-car train can have multiple restrooms.
  by HokieNav

Kaback9 wrote:

Obviously not, based on previous events.

I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do or that I would do it, but obviously if it's happened before than other people do and perhaps just taking your stuff and finding another seat is a better alternative to getting bent out of shape over the deal.
  by Kaback9

I agree this is the first time I have ever brought it up, Its just annoying, and some ofthis could be prevented with MARC weekend servic :-D
  by CHIP72

I think the simple solution with the bathroom issue is to make sure you go 10 minutes or more after the train leaves a station and 5 minutes or more before a train arrives at a station.

The thing to keep in mind with the MARC service is the on-board crew are Amtrak (or CSX) employees, not MTA employees. The MTA doesn't have final say about whether Amtrak/CSX crews will work on weekends. Having said that, having weekend MARC Penn Line service is long, long overdue.
  by Kaback9

Would it be better to have MARC have their own crews? I think its great giving Amtrak and CSX the business but at the same time I think maybe getting thier own crews would allow for a better schedule. Any thoughts?
  by CHIP72

Kaback9 wrote:Would it be better to have MARC have their own crews? I think its great giving Amtrak and CSX the business but at the same time I think maybe getting their own crews would allow for a better schedule. Any thoughts?
Others on here are more knowledgeable about train crew logistics than I am, but I suspect MTA hasn't had its own crews operate the MARC trains because MARC is a fairly small railroad (compared to SEPTA, the NJT/LIRR/MNRR trio, or MBTA). Also, MTA does not own at least some of the lines on which it operates, unlike (I think) all of the aforementioned commuter rail systems.