• VP Joe Biden and Gov. O'Malley tour Laurel MARC Station

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

Yesterday I received three MTA/MARC text/email alerts about a "special even" being held at Laurel station, saying that the lot closest to the station including (all the disabled parking) would be closed today. I was kind of surprised that the MTA would allow a "special event" on a normal service day. But, today I saw an article in the WaPo saying that VP Joe Biden and Gov O'Malley were going to tour the Laurel MARC station to publicize Obama's transportation stimulus bill, of which Maryland should receive a healthy share. I was really surprised to hear that Laurel was the busiest station on the Camden Line and was in such need of repair.

Here's the article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01447.html
  by CarterB

Isn't the Laurel Main St. station the closest of either Camden or Penn lines to Ft. Meade? Perhaps that's why it's so busy....and getting fed $$$$$?
  by BaltOhio

CarterB wrote:Isn't the Laurel Main St. station the closest of either Camden or Penn lines to Ft. Meade? Perhaps that's why it's so busy....and getting fed $$$$$?
I think Odenton on the Penn Line is closer, but Laurel has a nifty 1884 station.
  by realtype

BaltOhio wrote:
CarterB wrote:Isn't the Laurel Main St. station the closest of either Camden or Penn lines to Ft. Meade? Perhaps that's why it's so busy....and getting fed $$$$$?
I think Odenton on the Penn Line is closer, but Laurel has a nifty 1884 station.
Yeah, Odenton and Savage are closer.
  by realtype

Here's a WTOP article on the event: http://www.wtop.com/?nid=30&sid=1594021

They note that the station was built in the 1800's. A lot of MARC stations on the two CSX lines (Brunswick and Camden) were originally B&O stations also built around that time. They include: Kensington, Brunswick, Point of Rocks, Gaithersburg, Laurel, Harpers Ferry, and Germantown. Germantown station, where I board, is actually an exact replica of the original which was burned down according to a plaque on the wall. I think the only survivng PRR station on the Penn Line is Baltimore Penn Station, and of course Union Station which was served by the B&O as well.
  by BaltOhio

realtype wrote:Here's a WTOP article on the event: http://www.wtop.com/?nid=30&sid=1594021

I think the only survivng PRR station on the Penn Line is Baltimore Penn Station, and of course Union Station which was served by the B&O as well.
The Odenton station is an early 1940s-era product of Raymond Loewy Associates. I forget the architect's whole name, but recall his last name was Tichy (maybe Lester?). He also did the present station at Aberdeen, built at about the same time. All of the B&O stations mentioned were designed by E. Francis Baldwin, who also did Mt. Royal Station, the B&O Museum's "Roundhouse", and the Camden warehouse. Although in private practice, he did a large number of B&O structures in the 1880s and '90s and was essentially the company's house architect.
  by realtype

davinp wrote:What about money for VRE? Although most of VRE's platform, to my knowledge, are in good condition.
VRE's, and it's stations (not Amtrak owned ones like Alexandria), are practically brand new (within the last 20 years or so). MARC, or more specifically it's precursors B&O and PRR built many of those stations well over a century ago. I'm kind of surprised they chose Laurel station to tour, since I heard that the wooden platforms were completely replaced with a new material. All of the B&O stations I pass on the Brunswick Line (Kensington, Gaithersburg, Germantown) are in excellent condition. Gaithersburg even has a railroad museum with an old refridgerator car and steam locomotive.

I noticed something very odd about VRE recently in that it only had single platforms at all of it's stations, except for the Amtrak ones; I don't think any other commuter railroad (barring very small startups) is setup like that. This is even more interesting when you consider that the railroad has to share it's tracks with NS, CSX, and Amtrak.
  by davinp

realtype wrote:
davinp wrote:What about money for VRE? Although most of VRE's platform, to my knowledge, are in good condition.
VRE's, and it's stations (not Amtrak owned ones like Alexandria), are practically brand new (within the last 20 years or so). MARC, or more specifically it's precursors B&O and PRR built many of those stations well over a century ago. I'm kind of surprised they chose Laurel station to tour, since I heard that the wooden platforms were completely replaced with a new material. All of the B&O stations I pass on the Brunswick Line (Kensington, Gaithersburg, Germantown) are in excellent condition. Gaithersburg even has a railroad museum with an old refridgerator car and steam locomotive.

I noticed something very odd about VRE recently in that it only had single platforms at all of it's stations, except for the Amtrak ones; I don't think any other commuter railroad (barring very small startups) is setup like that. This is even more interesting when you consider that the railroad has to share it's tracks with NS, CSX, and Amtrak.
VRE is currently construction a second platform at the Woodbridge station, which includes a walkway to the parking garage. This is part of the kiss & go lot that will be right off route 1, so that you will have to drive into the station to drop someone off.