• digEplayer™ Portable Entertainment on the Auto Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by themallard

Amtrak.com
Introducing the digEplayer™

Amtrak is happy to offer the digEplayer™ portable entertainment device, now available for use on the Amtrak Auto Train, running between Lorton, VA (near Washington, DC) to Sanford, Florida (near Orlando).

The digEplayer™ is a portable digital entertainment device that delivers high-quality movies, music, TV shows—and more, in a convenient, lightweight package.

Each digEplayer is about the same size and weight as a portable DVD player and has a built-in 40 gigabyte (or larger) hard drive. Utilizing the latest in digital technology, each unit is capable of delivering an estimated 8 to 10 hours of the finest in digital entertainment.

Each unit features a bright seven-inch screen and comes with high-quality headphones. Set it up on your tray table or take it with you to your sleeping car—or anywhere else aboard the train. It's your call.

Movies and Television Shows On Demand

Each digEplayer device will offer a top-notch selection of movies and television programs from providers such as Universal Studios, DreamWorks SKG, Buena Vista, Warner Brothers, and 20th Century Fox. Each digEplayer device will store 8 to 15 full-length movies. From first-run blockbusters to timeless classics, there's likely to be something for everyone.

Music, Too

In addition, each digEplayer comes preloaded with a wide variety of music from pop to classical to rap.

Easy to Rent

Simply pick-up a digEplayer unit at the Lorton or Sanford station, and pay a small rental fee. Then enjoy hours of digital-quality audio-visual entertainment, including dozens of movies, songs, sitcoms, and children's programming—all on your schedule.
Image of the digEplayer™

by JoeG

This is a great idea! It could be extended to all LD trains. The only thing is, I think you would have to put a hold on the renter's credit card for the value of the unit, until it was returned, to prevent their disappearance.

by wigwagfan

Alaska Airlines offers the exact same thing on its transcontinental routes out of Sea-Tac.

Likewise, there is a company that offers DVD player and movie rentals, which has a kiosk here in Portland and several other airports, or will ship you your player/movies prior to your departure, or you can ship them back. My wife and I looked into renting one on our last trip, and the deposit requirements were outrageous - it would have been cheaper for us to BUY the player!!

But it is a great idea. One personal annoyance is the movies that are played on the Cascades trains - I don't take the train to watch a movie, and absolutely hate the announcement suggesting that I close my window blinds during the movie. Takes away nearly 100% of the reason in riding the train, and makes the two and a half hour drive up Interstate 5 more appealing (particularly if it's a bad movie).
  by themallard

Amtrak is rolling out Railway Media rental kiosks at stations accross the US in a bid to expand the availability of the portable digEplayer system...

"We are thrilled to expand digEplayer service across the Amtrak system," said Joshua Wallack, President and CEO of Railway Media. "Passengers can enjoy the finest movies, music and more, which will only enhance their time on the train.

"The Amtrak brand is stronger than ever and we plan to do our part to further strengthen it," Wallack added.

Movies currently loaded on the digEplayer include The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, Firewall, Rumor Has It, Chicken Little, Glory Road, Good Night and Good Luck, The Incredibles, Casanova, Shopgirl, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Proof and the Greatest Game Ever Played. The movies are edited and all are rated G, PG or PG-13.

At the conclusion of the train trip, passengers return the digEplayer to the rental kiosk. If a passenger plans to disembark at a location without a kiosk, Railway Media will provide a pre-paid shipping envelope to return the player for an additional charge.

Amtrak is also working to install digEplayer drop boxes on trains in order to provide customers another convenient way to return the players.

Rental charges are based on trip length and range from $12 to $29.95. Longer trips include a digEplayer bundle bag with extra batteries. In addition to renting digEplayers, Railway Media kiosks will also sell Amtrak-branded merchandise and other travel accessories.
Internet Travel News

Railway Media Website

by Noel Weaver

JoeG wrote:This is a great idea! It could be extended to all LD trains. The only thing is, I think you would have to put a hold on the renter's credit card for the value of the unit, until it was returned, to prevent their disappearance.
I've got a better idea, if the unit is not returned at the destination, the
automobile is not returned. On that basis, I don't think they will have any
problem in the return of the units.
Noel Weaver

by David Benton

if you pay buy credit card , can't they just retain your card till you return the player .
on the auto train i would think there is one obvious piece of security , your drivers liscence .

by Rockingham Racer

JoeG wrote:This is a great idea! It could be extended to all LD trains.
I read somewhere that they're also available in Chicago and Emeryville, plus one other west coast station. LA?

by gprimr1

They are avalible at Los Angelos Union Station.

The basic technology behind these units is avalible on the market now. I have a Creative Zen Vision which is basically this unit. They make several different models. I recomind them for the Amtrak traveler, plus you can make your own videos with Tivo and other programs.

But this is an Amtrak forum, not a video editing forum, so I'll leave it at they are invaluable to have. I used mine from Amherst to Baltimore, watched so many eps. of Are You Being Served.
  by jp1822

I saw them being offered out of Chicago Union Station. Not sure what trains they were destined for - just the long distance trains or all trains.

by LI Loco

My folks rented the devices on their recent trip north. Made the eight-hour (northbound) and four-hour (southbound) delays a little more bearable.

by themallard

See the most recent article about this in the LA Times

by gprimr1

What would really be fascinating would be if you could pre-select what movies and programming will be on your unit from a list. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of a way to implement that without having to hire new people.

by Tadman

It'd be neat if they could make these players more Amtrak-like. I'd suggest a two position volume switch, for really quiet or really loud. A screen dimmer with the highest setting being kinda bright. Maybe also a random timer that shuts power off unexpectedly. Slap some velcro on these, hang 'em on your sleeper compartment wall, and it's just like watching a movie in the lounge on those 1980's TV's that Amtrak used to use.

by gprimr1

Slap some velcro on these, hang 'em on your sleeper compartment wall
I really like this idea. Hopefully it would work for coach seats as well. Do they have 1 or 2 headphone jacks?

by wigwagfan

Amtrak is now offering these devices complementary to Coast Starlight sleeper passengers. They can be obtained at Seattle, Portland, Emeryville, or Los Angeles, or while onboard the train - and returned to the Conductor.

Read about it at Amtrak's News Releases site