• Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley (CACV) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Benjamin Maggi

That sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad I will be in Western NY that day at another railroad event. I hope people take good pictures of the crane train!
  by switcher3051

been extremely busy to post this year. rail fan day was good. back towards the end of November we moved the GG1's across rt 7. should be plenty of photos around. we also pulled the FL9's to the Milford depot. working on # 2028 to get running. running south to the jct was a pretty view. since i was in the seat i had to duck a lot of brush that had grown up. this coming year plans are in the works to do some clearing with the Jordan spreader.
Happy New Year to All.
  by Benjamin Maggi

My wife and I rode the train during the Alco photo-charter and had a blast. We hope to return to ride the BBQ train in 2015 and wish the C&CV the best of luck in the new year.
  by greenwichlirr

I don't really have a clear memory of this, but when/how long ago was the western leg of the wye paved over? Is there still a switch or is it disconnected track?
  by ricebrianrice

Wait....

What....

The GG1's were moved across route 7, and the FL9's were moved to Milford?
One of the FL9's is being fixed to run?
How does something like that happen, and nothing but crickets?

I searched for pictures and found nothing.
  by thebigham

^Yes, you do. I sent a request and it was approved within 30 minutes.

Why was the one GG1 moved??

When was the last time the CACV had an engine operating at CJ?
  by traingeek8223

The GG1s had to be moved because the siding they sat on is owned by Canadian Pacific (it was previously leased by C&CV) and with the pending sale to NS, all non-CP owned, stored equipment had to be removed from CP property or it would be transferred to NS through the sale. I believe it's been about 6-8 years since the railroad has been to Cooperstown Junction.
  by Benjamin Maggi

traingeek8223 wrote: I believe it's been about 6-8 years since the railroad has been to Cooperstown Junction.
Sounds like a rare-milage railfan trip waiting to happen!
  by thebigham

Thanks for all the info!

When I went to a Railfan's Day event back in the mid 2000s, equipment was stored on the main south of Milford.
  by switcher3051

Thank you for the good wishes for this year. FL9 #2028 is being worked on and we hope to it have running for rail fan day. BBQ train will be scheduled. I'll post once dates are finalized. Alco 3052 should be running on it's own this year too. Actual events are in planning stage. Jordan spreader demos may take place south of the depot this year.