• Comet I's Officially Retired?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by NJT4115

airman00 wrote:On sterling rail classifieds, now just 5 comet 1 cars left for sale. There were 20 recently, so apparently someone bought 15 of them. I wonder who?
Please, no scrappers! Spare these innocent cars :)
  by Tadman

Quote of the month here...
smell like burrito night at a prison
Most commuter trains I ride tend to smell like commercial disinfectant. However, you ride the Chicago subway late at night and it smells like the bottom of a toilet. I came back from a date last night on the Howard train and about tossed cookies it smelled so bad. Then, you have your Sunday morning vom-on-the-platform (I live near a college).

mmmmkayyyyyyyyy....
  by ApproachMedium

Most commuter trains smell like that because of the stupid chemical bio toilets they use. If they would switch to a vac system like the superliners and viewliners have, they wouldnt have this problem. LIRR and MNCRR have them on their M7 series cars and they also dont smell like toilets/chemicals.
  by GP40MC 1116

Does anyone know if there are any Comet 1 cars left on NJT property that are not spoken for (scrap or donated). Similar to those cars that were donated to museums and the MCVX cars? I know a public safety organization that could benefit from the use of one or two cars to train emergency responders
  by NJT4115

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Does anyone know if there are any Comet 1 cars left on NJT property that are not spoken for (scrap or donated). Similar to those cars that were donated to museums and the MCVX cars? I know a public safety organization that could benefit from the use of one or two cars to train emergency responders
I don't think there are any left on property. The last time I saw one was at MMC in December of 2010. I was on I-95 heading towards New York, but I didn't get a really good view of the car. There are plenty of Comets at the Whippany Railroad Museum.
  by airman00

There might be some for sale on Sterling rail classifieds. You'd have to check.
  by 25Hz

NJT4115 wrote:
GP40MC 1116 wrote:Does anyone know if there are any Comet 1 cars left on NJT property that are not spoken for (scrap or donated). Similar to those cars that were donated to museums and the MCVX cars? I know a public safety organization that could benefit from the use of one or two cars to train emergency responders
I don't think there are any left on property. The last time I saw one was at MMC in December of 2010. I was on I-95 heading towards New York, but I didn't get a really good view of the car. There are plenty of Comets at the Whippany Railroad Museum.
So that's where they are based out of when i see them in rail videos....
  by sixty-six

NJT4115 wrote:
There are some still on the property.
  by ns3010

sixty-six wrote:
NJT4115 wrote:
There are some still on the property.

Are those cars still at Winslow Jct?
  by GP40MC 1116

I ended up contacting the Sterling Rail Inc. contact to see what information he could provide for me. From what I recived, there are 20 comet 1 cars left. 10 are cab units and the other 10 are trailer cars. 5 of the cars are located in Winslow Junction, NJ. The only information that confuses me, is I also found a similar posting (http://www.trains-trams-trolleys.com/home/coaches.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to show 5 Comet 1 coaches in NJ.

Wasn't able to get car numbers, as I would have had to agree to Sterling Rail’s Buyers Brokers agreement in order to get the car numbers, but I am fairly certain these are it:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3179745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by 25Hz

No sign of them anywhere in the vicinity on google earth. The tiles in that area are pretty fresh too.
  by transit383

A pic from March 2009 of one of the two remaining Comet I sets still in operation:

NJT 5123 at Kingsland