Railroad Forums 

• Comet I's Officially Retired?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1078172  by Silverliner II

25Hz wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
25Hz wrote:Nice catch! I'm wondering if NH&IRR will get any once they are retired from public revenue service.

Man the DC motor noise from those metrorail cars is excessive!
Would you believe it was AC motors on that train. Only the 4000-series Metrorail cars remain in their original interior/unrebuilt/DC traction form....
When was the rebuild? They sound super worn out!
The 1000's were rebuilt 1991-1993. The 2000's and 3000's were rebuilt 2001-2006. I was on a 3000-series pair in the video.

What I wonder is what's with the giant rings around that Slider in the video....
 #1078181  by 25Hz

Silverliner II wrote:
25Hz wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
25Hz wrote:Nice catch! I'm wondering if NH&IRR will get any once they are retired from public revenue service.

Man the DC motor noise from those metrorail cars is excessive!
Would you believe it was AC motors on that train. Only the 4000-series Metrorail cars remain in their original interior/unrebuilt/DC traction form....
When was the rebuild? They sound super worn out!
The 1000's were rebuilt 1991-1993. The 2000's and 3000's were rebuilt 2001-2006. I was on a 3000-series pair in the video.

What I wonder is what's with the giant rings around that Slider in the video....
Rotation frame. You can put the car at different angles for training. A derailed car in a wreck could be at any angle, including upside down.

They make similar frames for boats and automobiles but those are usually a rotisserie style. The railcar is too heavy to support it only from either end.
 #1078548  by ApproachMedium

There are two of these in existence, the other I think is in NJ. Why would the new hope get any of these cars? They are all long gone.
 #1113045  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Based on period photos the 2-2 reversable seats on the Comet Is as delivered do resemble the Comet V seating to a degree. Perhaps take some two seaters from IIMs, IVs or Vs when they get "replaced" by the additional MLVs in the (not too) far future?

Why waste the time and money for that? The cars have excellent, comfortable functional seating. In fact the Comet I seats I think were the best of all the cars because they did not flip, and actually had cushioning vs the hard MLV seats and the your back hurts after a half hour flippable seats everything else running has.
Sorry to bump an old thread but, i took a long train ride from Millburn to Ridgewood a couple times when I needed to get to my internship and my car was out of commission because it was having its timing belt swapped, 2+ hours in Comet Vs split evenly between the two trains, seeing this post just reminded me of when I got off the second train and had no feeling in my upper leg muscles for a good 10 minutes after, that was painful. I see the clump of Comet Is in the Boonton Museum all the time, I pass by them on 287, is there anything planned for those?
 #1113122  by ApproachMedium

The boonton cars eventually have plans, but thats so far off. There are many other things on their plate right now to deal with before they worry about comet cars.
 #1113157  by 25Hz

ApproachMedium wrote:There are two of these in existence, the other I think is in NJ. Why would the new hope get any of these cars? They are all long gone.
I had no idea they were never coming back to the east coast.
 #1113197  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:The boonton cars eventually have plans, but thats so far off. There are many other things on their plate right now to deal with before they worry about comet cars.
I understand, I was only curious since I pass them once a week.
 #1132472  by airman00

I saw on sterling rail classifieds 20 comet 1 cars for sale. 10 cab cars and 10 trailers. For sale in California and NJ. Sorry I tried to post the link but couldn't figure out how to do so.
 #1135797  by NJT4115

Wish I saw the old Comets before the awful MLs replaced them :(
 #1135824  by CNJGeep

NJT4115 wrote:Wish I saw the old Comets before the awful MLs replaced them :(
Multilevels, generally speaking, do not usually smell like burrito night at a prison-which is a fairly acurate description of a Comet I cab car towards the end.
Malodorous cars aside, I promise, you didn't miss *anything* special or spectacular or unique.
 #1135832  by ApproachMedium

No the MLVs just smell like puke now because they dont clean them. I plan on writing a complaint formally to NJT because I am tired of being picky about dirty seats in MLVs. The other day the one I sat in had blood on the plastic seatback ahead of me. I changed seats... They often have remains of puke chunks or other random god knows what food debris left behind.
 #1136167  by NJT4115

CNJGeep wrote:
NJT4115 wrote:Wish I saw the old Comets before the awful MLs replaced them :(
Multilevels, generally speaking, do not usually smell like burrito night at a prison-which is a fairly acurate description of a Comet I cab car towards the end.
Malodorous cars aside, I promise, you didn't miss *anything* special or spectacular or unique.
That makes me feel better about that.
 #1146403  by airman00

On sterling rail classifieds, now just 5 comet 1 cars left for sale. There were 20 recently, so apparently someone bought 15 of them. I wonder who?