Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, Kaback9, ACeInTheHole

• 1389 posts
  by NJRAILNUT

blockline4180 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:56 amBelieve it or not, there are even plans to bring the 4109 back to revenue service, amazingly!
4109 is the Geep that was recently repainted into the blue CNJ scheme, correct? I had assumed they would use this in revenue service, but I take it from your comment that there are still mechanic issues to work out before this happens?

Thanks.
  by blockline4180

NJRAILNUT wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 am
blockline4180 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:56 amBelieve it or not, there are even plans to bring the 4109 back to revenue service, amazingly!
4109 is the Geep that was recently repainted into the blue CNJ scheme, correct? I had assumed they would use this in revenue service, but I take it from your comment that there are still mechanic issues to work out before this happens?

Thanks.
Correct. Needs to have the HEP issue addressed (replaced or repaired?) and some other light mechanical work needs to be performed before it can pull passengers... From what I read it does have PTC installed though.
  by ryanov

Did I read that right, ApproachMedium, that there's talk of reactivating the Comet IV cabs?
  by ApproachMedium

Things are being tested. It would be stupid NOT to. The things are there. I still to this point do not understand why they are not using them with the legacy locomotives that they know they work with. The place is always short cab cars. I could only hope to see with this push to reactivate all the mothballed or sidelined stuff could bring back some Comet 3s as PP trailer cars, or even at least for dedicated meadowlands trains.
  by nightmare403

i dont think they gonna reactivate the IV cabs i looks blind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ApproachMedium

That car that was blinded was done a while ago.
  by sullivan1985

The Comet IVs are dead as cab cars. They will never lead a revenue train again. With even more MLs coming there will be more comets displaced making more CVs cabs available. The CIV doesn't stand a chance.
  by ApproachMedium

The number of lies in there about the dual modes is astounding. The dual modes are forever restricted to 90mph because of their weight and will never do 125mph. The higher speed diesel engine is NOT an advantage. Its a disadvantage, these engines SUCK fuel up on a layover way faster than a normal diesel locomotive does. Somebody up there is very misinformed and is pulling the wool over the eyes of the public