• GP40-MC Overhaul

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by mbrproductions

Looks like 1117 has been seen testing on the Attleboro Line (NEC) as of 2 days ago, most likely going to be put into service on the south side alongside 1138 soon, at long last the return of GP40MCs to the South Side has officially begun
https://www.instagram.com/p/C6_d7ZyRrAp/
  by MBTAVideoClips

Supposedly was on the 1829 set, which 1138 took back right after the tests were over
  by MBTAVideoClips

1117 was on the Readville Switcher today. Me and some friends caught it at Morton Street towing 1068 down to Readville on it's SB run. It's northbound run had a few rotems and an HSP, but I couldn't get the exact numbers (it passed us while we were on a train)

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

1117 rdv swither/rescue unit if needed
1138/1136 Cape set......most likely the units on the Franklin Stone train tmmw
  by Commuterrail1050

Any reason why 1117 isn’t in service yet and just a readville switcher?
  by MBTAVideoClips

HEP issues? Not ready for revenue yet? could be a lot of factors.
  by Commuterrail1050

Is there any reason why the bet rebuilt gp40’s aren’t fully rebuilt to 3C like the Rochester ones are and will be? Doesn’t make sense to me that the rebuild them there, only to send them to Rochester to be fully rebuilt.
  by CRail

I don't know how many times this needs to be said, there is not one dash 3 GP40 on the property.
  by MBTAVideoClips

Why not? GP40MC-3 is clearly displayed on the body for the rebuilds below the cab window (or at least 1138).

Besides, us railfans can use the term to easily classify rebuild geeps compared to normal geeps, most people would recognize the term GP40MC-3 anyways.
  by CRail

Perhaps I stand corrected regarding the 1138.

Locomotive class designations are not rail-fan derived nicknames, they're official designations by manufacturers (and re-manufacturers). Note the never ending F10 vs FP10 debate, wherein the shops that rebuilt the engines designated them FP10s which was never endorsed by EMD. The -3 designation indicates a prime mover control system upgrade bringing the unit up to Tier 0+ emissions standards. It has nothing to do with paint, electronic bells, or LED headlights as has been previously implied.
  by MBTAVideoClips

1117/1802
  by jamoldover

CRail wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:40 pm Perhaps I stand corrected regarding the 1138.

Locomotive class designations are not rail-fan derived nicknames, they're official designations by manufacturers (and re-manufacturers). Note the never ending F10 vs FP10 debate, wherein the shops that rebuilt the engines designated them FP10s which was never endorsed by EMD. The -3 designation indicates a prime mover control system upgrade bringing the unit up to Tier 0+ emissions standards. It has nothing to do with paint, electronic bells, or LED headlights as has been previously implied.
Not quite. The locomotive model (as stated by the manufacturer) is one thing, the locomotive class (as designated by the owning railroad) is another. As an example, GE's designation for their 4400-hp wide cab pre-GEVO locomotive was "DASH 9-44CW" (capitalization as specified by the manufacturer). Norfolk Southern's class designation was "D-9 44CW". CSX's class designation for them was "CW44-9". Canadian National's class designation was "EF644". All of those terms are completely correct.

With regard to the proper designation of the rebuilt GP40MC locomotives, the -3 may or may not be correct. A "-3" designation has been used by multiple manufacturers/remanufacturers to indicate a whole host of different things that may or may not have included prime mover upgrades or various electronic components. It has certainly been used on the MK-built/rebuilt F40PHM-3Cs (to indicate upgraded HEP and electronics) as well as other MK/MPI/Wabtec locomotives.
  by CRail

Again, the dash 3 designation of the F40s refers to their Tier 0+ upgrades. It has been stated, incorrectly, that -3 means LED ditch lights and e-bells. This is what I took issue with, which I stated. It's possible that the 1138's rebuild made it actually a -3.
  by CRail

Hence:
CRail wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:40 pm Perhaps I stand corrected regarding the 1138.