• Lower Montauk Division Discussion

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BMC

The Phelps Dodge sit was purchased by the US Post Service to be a major facility.

However, when they tested the soil (no big surprise here) they found it to be so toxic that it made it to the New York State superfund cleanup list.

PD had to end up buying the site back from the USPS and pay for the removal of the toxic waste.

Again, as of three years ago when I retired from LIC it was just flat ground with a fence around it. From what I've heard the waste has been all removed.

Now if you want toxic waste you just have to travel a few more feet and take a dip in the nearby Newton Creek.
  by Port Jervis

Frank wrote:Thanks, I'll try to take the 8:11 out of Jamaica. I went to LIC once but the train went via Hunterspoint Ave station. Is there anything interesting to see on the Lower Montauk?
Between LIC and Maspeth it's nothing but grungy industrial settings, loads of abandoned freight sightings. Fresh Pond is always interesting since there's always NY&A action going on. The train through Forest Park is scenic but slow since there'salmost always tresspassers on the ROW (I used to be one of them as a kid).

One word of caution: both the 8:11 out of Jamaica and the 16:54 out of LIC are both scheduled to use Lower Montauk, but they sometimes don't. I've been burned a couple of times, especially in the AM.
  by Port Jervis

BMC wrote:
Now if you want toxic waste you just have to travel a few more feet and take a dip in the nearby Newton Creek.
I once saw a guy fishing in it.
  by joetrain59

Just to be accurate, that's Newtown Creek. Hey there have been Dolphins spotted in Gowanus Canal a few years ago!
  by R36 Combine Coach

Newtown Creek is probably among the most polluted public waterways in this Nation.
  by nyandw

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Newtown Creek is probably among the most polluted public waterways in this Nation.
Totally agree, and Arthur Kill (West of Staten Island) is right there also. A 2% oxygen content in the water AFAIR...Yipes.

Steve
  by freightguy

I saw on another forum and in Newsday about a tractor trailer being hit by a locomotive. It appeared to be on the Lower Montauk west of Maspeth. Was that the engine that leaves Morris Park to head to LIC pasgr yard to drill? Most importantly was engineer okay, I know somebody with tractor trailer was injured. That is usually a high senority job....
  by RearOfSignal

It's in the Daily News too. "Man racing to free stuck truck is rammed on tracks". A tractor-trailer became stuck on a patch of ice at the Laurel Ave crossing when the gates came down. A man seeing this ran to help but was pulled under when the MP15AC $107 running light collided with the immobilized truck. Occurred about 0700 on 2/23/08.
  by DogBert

Link:
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/200 ... ammed.html

A man who stopped to aid a truck driver stuck on a Queens railroad track was hit by a locomotive and dragged before being rescued by firefighters. Courtney Young, 44, was battling for his life last night at Elmhurst Hospital Center with severe head trauma and broken bones suffered in the 7 a.m. ordeal. The trucker he tried to help had attempted to drive across a set of Long Island Rail Road tracks on Laurel Ave. but became stuck on an ice patch, said an FDNY spokesman. When the crossing gate crashed down on top of the rig, Young raced to the driver's aid.
  by Otto Vondrak

Something about the story doesn't add up... I can't put my finger on it. Maybe the story got edited, but when I'm reading the article, something just doesnt make sense... anyone else get that feeling?
  by Lirr168

Otto Vondrak wrote:Something about the story doesn't add up... I can't put my finger on it. Maybe the story got edited, but when I'm reading the article, something just doesnt make sense... anyone else get that feeling?
That article doesn't make sense and actually contradicts other accounts posted here.
  by drumz0rz

The daily news said it was pushed 75 feet, Newsday said 30. The NBC video makes it look somewhere in the middle (most trailers are what, 50' long?) Also, I'm thinking the trailer must have been empty for the engine to have pushed it that far.
  by 2behind1

The Avenue where this occured (Maspeth Ave.)is notorious for running gates,broken gates, and idiots who don't know the rules when the gates are down. MTA Police will spend two weeks attempting to crack down, then leave until the next incident.

This was the change crew who was to deliver the LIC drill job their eninge. The Engineer is a senior employee, who I am sure thoughts and prayers would be appreciated from this forum.
  by ncvab

2behind1 wrote:The Avenue where this occured (Maspeth Ave.)is notorious for running gates,broken gates, and idiots who don't know the rules when the gates are down.
This accident occured at Laurel Hill Boulevard and Review Avenue, at the site of the old Pennybridge Station.

Nowhere near Maspeth Avenue.