• Aerial photos of Waterville Yard

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

I'm not certain, but that might be an ex-Amtrak car. They advertised a similar car for sale on their web site a few years ago, and the description said it was a former Amtrak car, but perhaps they never sold it.
  by thebigham

^Someone said it was sent there for repairs?

GRS did rebuild a few MBTA locos so maybe this was part of the payment?
  by Tim Mullins

Some one had asked about a coach...That was an ex MEC coach that has been there for a long time...The Amtrak coach was cut up a while ago when the 615 and some cars were scraped... I believe that coach was suppose to be overhauled at one time for the OCS train...Now I'm curious...I'll have to see what I can fined out!
  by samayotte

I've posted a complete update briefing dated January 28, 2012

The conditions were excellent, so I was able to get in there good and tight.

If you need to get oriented, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and start with the establishing shots.

Otherwise dig right in.

Here's the link: http://samayotte.com/PAR_Waterville_3.html
  by MEC407

Great stuff! Thanks!
  by gokeefe

The combine in this photo and several others is almost certainly MEC #322 the sister car to #333 Lone Tree which was the Maine Central's Executive Car for many many years.
  by newpylong

Without telling me to dig into other threads, etc can someone give me the quick low down on the 3 passenger cars there? It looks like the 2 that made it to GTI paint were part of the '83 OCS am I wrong there? Whats up with the MEC combine? Never used since GTI took over?

I know minimal about Maine : )
  by MEC407

Some of those are (or were) work train cars.
  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:Whats up with the MEC combine? Never used since GTI took over?

I know minimal about Maine : )
The combine is the sister car to #333. It may have had a steam generator in it or some kind of electrical generator used for #333 "Lone Tree".

The two cars (#333 and #322) served exclusively as Maine Central's business train for decades, to include the entire tenure of Maine Central's long time President E. Spencer Miller.

Based on the complete lack of MoW markings I am convinced that #322 has never been converted to work train service. Several of the other cars in fact may have been so altered. Notably, despite still having an active wreck train #322 has never been used in such service, unlike practically every other remaining steel heavyweight design coach remaining on PAR property.

I would also point out its unique status along with ST #52 as being the only *known* example of a car which appears to have been deliberately given or left with non-Guilford Maine Central lettering (as opposed to road markings or deteriorating box car paint) anywhere in PARs system. #333 would likely be the same but it has not been seen in public since about 1983. Indications are that it still exists and is safely stored away by the company.
  by toolmaker

"I would also point out its unique status along with ST #52 as being the only *known* example of a car which appears to have been deliberately given or left with non-Guilford Maine Central lettering (as opposed to road markings or deteriorating box car paint) anywhere in PARs system. #333 would likely be the same but it has not been seen in public since about 1983. Indications are that it still exists and is safely stored away by the company."

Is it possible these cars are not owned by Guilford as the reason they remain un-touched?
  by gokeefe

toolmaker wrote:
gokeefe wrote:I would also point out its unique status along with ST #52 as being the only *known* example of a car which appears to have been deliberately given or left with non-Guilford Maine Central lettering (as opposed to road markings or deteriorating box car paint) anywhere in PARs system. #333 would likely be the same but it has not been seen in public since about 1983. Indications are that it still exists and is safely stored away by the company.
Is it possible these cars are not owned by Guilford as the reason they remain un-touched?
ST #52 was repainted as part of PAR's Heritage paint program just last month. Here's the relevant thread.

#322 has been out in the open for a while (see the previous aerial photos), Mr. Ayotte's latest pictures made its numeral visible. Up until then it looked as if it was just another old car serving on the wreck train.

It (and maybe #333) was up for sale at one point about ten years ago.
  by KSmitty

Excellent photos as always, Thanks!