Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am's Heritage Locomotives

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1549439  by gokeefe

They had seemed to stabilize around the Pan Am identity. I didn't think it meant anything to them anymore ... Interesting that it does.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1549440  by newpylong

As mentioned, it means something to the one prrson that matters, the majority owner. Enough where he can pick up the phone to Fink Jr and say, "I know this is all going to be gone soon so I want something on thw rails now that represents where it all began."
 #1549464  by b&m 1566

If that were the case, then maybe a phase 1 paint scheme would've been chosen, not the phase 3.
 #1549466  by MEC407

Phase I would've been cool to see again. And seeing it on one of the Dash 8-40Cs would've been very cool.
651b.jpg
651b.jpg (161.8 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
 #1549489  by newpylong

b&m 1566 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 am If that were the case, then maybe a phase 1 paint scheme would've been chosen, not the phase 3.
Third time, there's no "ifs", this is exactly what happened.

Why would they put a paint scheme on with a railroad's name in large letters that they've spent the last 30+ years trying to erase? Guilford is what he wants, not the Maine Central.

They were going to put pilot stripes on it for a Phase I look but no blueprints/stencils could be readily found so they bagged it.
 #1549496  by BandA

Those stripes on the pilot really increase the visibility & look "sharp".

Is the unit designator 507 or MEC 507? It would look better if the 507 was larger than the MEC below, or if MEC was next to 507.

The orange is glossy; Never seen one with fresh glossy paint.
 #1549499  by MEC407

newpylong wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:33 am They were going to put pilot stripes on it for a Phase I look but no blueprints/stencils could be readily found so they bagged it.
Well that's pathetic. Stripes are just stripes, for heaven's sake. They don't have a ruler or a yard stick at Waterville?
 #1549522  by gokeefe

Probably wanted a "perfect" look ... Can't blame them for not wanting to take a chance on something that came down from the top.

With regards to gloss 516 and 517 used to get polished up to a high shine when they ran as power for the "OCS".

#1549667  by MEC407

gokeefe wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:24 pm Probably wanted a "perfect" look ... Can't blame them for not wanting to take a chance on something that came down from the top.
If they were going for a perfect look, they goofed by not putting enough space between the words Guilford Rail System; they're too close together.

At any rate, this photo taken yesterday shows that the "E.L.-'88" initials/numbers have been removed:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDktThNHu94 ... rtixdl6jjw

For comparison, here is what the correct spacing between the words should look like:
EMD_GP40_B&M_339_Wells_Maine.jpg
EMD_GP40_B&M_339_Wells_Maine.jpg (71.99 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
 #1549673  by RenegadeMonster

Just posted this in the Salem Action Alert Thread.

I came across this picture of the 507 in Fresh Paint on BO1 switching Rousselot in Peabody yesterday. It's a good side view of the 507. I thought it was strange that a fresh paint job would still be in the Guilford colors. Didn't realize it was a heritage unit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDktThNHu94 ... rtixdl6jjw
 #1549688  by gokeefe

Yet again ... The Waterville shops prove their talent ...

#1549710  by b&m 1566

newpylong wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:33 am
b&m 1566 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 am If that were the case, then maybe a phase 1 paint scheme would've been chosen, not the phase 3.
Third time, there's no "ifs", this is exactly what happened.

Why would they put a paint scheme on with a railroad's name in large letters that they've spent the last 30+ years trying to erase? Guilford is what he wants, not the Maine Central.

They were going to put pilot stripes on it for a Phase I look but no blueprints/stencils could be readily found so they bagged it.
Why? The same reason 52 and 77 were painted in heritage colors.