Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am's Heritage Locomotives

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1549158  by gokeefe

I was thinking something along the same lines. This is potentially an indication that something has changed with regards to the intellectual property license. Also given the other units still in "Big G" paint I doubt this is a trademark renewal issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1549161  by MEC407

I dunno, the fact that they chose a GATX-owned loco still seems very odd to me. I can't imagine it was the only loco available to be repainted. They've got dozens of Dash 8s still in ratty CSX paint and dozens of company-owned EMDs in either ratty GRS paint or faded/worn PAR paint.
 #1549162  by 690

For what it's worth, the 507 no longer displays GATX owned on the side. Also there's a small E.L. 88 decal added below the American flag on the side of the cab, no one seems to know what that's about.
 #1549163  by MEC407

Interesting...

Would be nice if someone could take a peek at the cab card and see who's listed as the owner.
 #1549176  by Pensyfan19

If this locomotive is in fact repainted into a Guilford livery, thus making it a heritage unit, then what are the possibilities that we could also have a Maine Central and B&M heritage unit? :-D
 #1549193  by newpylong

Here is the deal with 507:

Mellon wanted a unit painted one last time into the Big G livery as a tribute to where it all began. It has PTC so it can lead and be visible in Commuter Rail territory.
 #1549209  by MEC407

Wow, I didn't take him for the sentimental type.

What does the "E.L. 88" stand for?
 #1549211  by Cosakita18

So what, he has this unit painted Guilford grey and puts a clause in the terms of sale saying that the new operator has to keep 507 around as a heritage unit?
 #1549218  by newpylong

Who knows, but most in Billerica anticipate an announcement by fall, so it definitely has some time to get around until anything proceeds.
 #1549248  by CSRR573

As for someone who wasn't around in the 80s when all the labor strikes happened, seeing a freshly painted "Big G" loco looks good to me. I've always liked the scheme,but maybe that has to do to the fact I was old enough to remember when 573 first showed up at North Conway and they quickly adopted the "Big C" scheme
 #1549301  by MEC343

I was the conductor on POED yesterday and can confirm that 507 is no longer owned by GATX. Cab card said it was owned by Maine Central.
 #1549302  by MEC407

Thanks!