• Middleboro yard

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

is there a lot of action in this yard during the day? or does it happen all at night?

by Robert Paniagua

Usually during the daytime. Also, most trains out of Middleboro come up the MBCR/CSX joint line from there thru Bridgewater, Brockton, Holb/Rand, Braintree, and sometimes till either Quincy Shipyard or Conley Shipping Terminal in South Boston via the MBCR main Old Colony line.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

how big is the yard? how many tracks?

by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:Usually during the daytime. Also, most trains out of Middleboro come up the MBCR/CSX joint line from there thru Bridgewater, Brockton, Holb/Rand, Braintree, and sometimes till either Quincy Shipyard or Conley Shipping Terminal in South Boston via the MBCR main Old Colony line.
No freights are allowed north of Braintree due to the varying grades through Quincy as well as the bridge over the Neponset River. Occasionally a lite engine move will be done, but that is rare.

As for the MBCR Middleboro Main-line seeing CSX traffic, that would be in the day time when B729 (MI-3) services customers along the route between Middleboro & Braintree, as well as inter-changing with the Fore River RR @ Braintree. Also, the yard is not visible from the Middleboro/Lakeville Station, although B729 passes through it in the off chance they have to service Ocean Spray.

Robert, there is no rail to Conley Terminal. Also, the Fore River interchanges with us at Braintree Yard....we don't go all the way down to the shipyard.

by paulrail

CSX Conductor-

Do the CSX units still travel around the wye down to the East Braintree yard to interchange with Fore River Transportation ?

I know at one point, he previous operator, Quincy Bay Terminal RR, was coming up to the "main" yard by the MBTA Braintree commuter rail station. It appears the a couple of new tracks have been added to that yard.

My guess is that once the Greenbush commuter rail line opens, all interchanging will probably be done at the main yard by the "tower." (?)

BTW, who owns the "tower" there? It looks like it's being used by CSX MofW personnel, but I'm not positive.

by Robert Paniagua

No freights are allowed north of Braintree due to the varying grades through Quincy as well as the bridge over the Neponset River. Occasionally a lite engine move will be done, but that is rare.

I thought that bridge would allow freights into BOS from BRN. Oh well, they may have to go thru Mansfield to B & A to get to town.

As for the MBCR Middleboro Main-line seeing CSX traffic, that would be in the day time when B729 (MI-3) services customers along the route between Middleboro & Braintree, as well as inter-changing with the Fore River RR @ Braintree. Also, the yard is not visible from the Middleboro/Lakeville Station, although B729 passes through it in the off chance they have to service Ocean Spray.

Yeah I figured that, around noontime or so, when that train passes right thru the Plain Street Crossing towards Cadigan Red Line MBTA Yard.

Robert, there is no rail to Conley Terminal. Also, the Fore River interchanges with us at Braintree Yard....we don't go all the way down to the shipyard.

Huh, I thought there was....

Probably from the B & A, but it could have been deactivated as you said, haven't been there in a while, but I've seen tracks branch off the Old Colony Main Line at South Boston towards Conley Terminal. I don't know where exactly they go off, maybe you know :-)

by paulrail

I think those tracks are used by the Boston Railway Terminal Co. and were used when building the Ted Williams tunnel, the silver line and the new convention center in South Boston. I'm not absolutely sure of this, so anyone corret me if I'm wrong.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y_Terminal

Paul

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

how many engines are on duty at the yard? 4? for the taunton/new bedford/fall river local and the braintree locals? what is the taunton local called again? b727?

by CSX Conductor

F40: there are normally 4 engines assigned to Middleboro: 2 for B727 (day job to Fall River/New Bedford via Taunton) because they go push pull. 2 for B729 because it is a heavy train running on tight time slots on the T. and all four are used on B726 to Attleboro at night.

Robert: As someone else mentioned, the trackes you see by the South Boston Haul Road lead to the Boston Railway Terminal (which is the site of the old A Street Yard)....there was a thread about the BRT in the New Englan Forum. The track is owned by CSXT. The BRT has an old ALCO which is no good, the traction motor went on it back in January :( . As for freight from Braintree to Boston.....no need for it, thats way out of the way also. The Boston Globe and Boston Railway Terminal are serviced by B733 out of Readville. The cars come from the B&A @ Framingham via the Framingham Secondary to Walpole, then the Franklin Branch to Readville yard. B733 goes into town via the Dorchester Branch (aka Fairmount Line.

As for interchange at Braintree: it used to be done off the wye, but it is supposed to be done in the yard. The B729 uses the wye to turn their entire train upon reaching Braintree.

Also, the old tower is used by MBCR MofW Dept. :wink:

by Robert Paniagua

Ah, Allrighty then, thanks for the update, now I know what really goes on when I see those tracks and "that" train "do this and that" :-D

by CSX Conductor

Not a problem Robert, afterall, thats why we are all on here.....to ask questions and answer other members' questions, right? :-)

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i saw B727 tuesday, the 5th, and they had 6232 and 6212, and they had 59 cars to bring home to middleboro, if that is where they take their stuff? or do they leave it for B726?

by CSX Conductor

All their Selkirks go back to MIddleboro.
  by GP40MC1118

So any cars coming from New Bedford or Fall River are now brought to Middleboro instead of being left on the NB mainline at Cotely Jct?

Dave

by CSX Conductor

Yeah, you're right Dave. when I first read the question I thought he had asked about B729 (MI-3), sorry.