• Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBSR)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by fromway

Eight(8) carloads of old ties sitting in the yard at Houlton. Probably intended for Bartlett Forest Products to be either used to make cribs for the woods or to be ground up for mulch.
  by CPF66

They have been doing a big clean up system wide, so it wouldn't surprise me if they loaded them, and are just storing them someplace until Permatreat could unload them. Rather than having a bunch of log cars full of ties sitting at Mattawamkeag when the CP OCS goes to Saint John.
  by roberttosh

Are the 2 Irving mills at Saint John the only significant boxcar shippers on the NBSR? I'm assuming that the mill at Woodland ships boxcars too? Thanks.
  by CPF66

I believe Twin Rivers paper in Madawaska ships a decent volume (I think the majority goes CN), and yes Woodland Pulp and Paper is another large user of box cars on NBM. I want to say Tafisa has a plant on the Saint Stephen Sub, which loads particle board onto box cars, but I could be wrong. I know there are a bunch of various businesses in Saint John which use box cars (There are a few warehouses NBM serves). There is also a customer in PI which occasionally takes cars, but the one which is up there, has been there just about a year.
  by fromway

Houlton Sunday turn has loaded ballast cars on the tail end of train as it sits in Houlton yard. Couldn't tell if the train was tied down, but did not see any human activity.
  by CPF66

It wouldn't surprise me, some spots on the branch need some major TLC. The entire thing is 10 MPH, which just a mere 3 years ago was good for 25 after a substantial tie and ballast project.
  by fromway

Another line of 11 cars of used ties has arrived in Houlton at Bartlett Forest Products. From what I've heard the ties will be groune up for bulk commercial use. If I hear anything else I will post.
  by fromway

The NMR is inline for $12,600,000.00 for improvements to the Presque Isle and Houlton lines and the Mainline from MIllinocket to Scopan if a bill currently in Senate markup is approved. The Irvings should get the big Thank You card ready to send to Angus and Susie.
  by S1f3432

This also could be viewed as the State funding maintenance of State owned infrastructure- not necessarily
a gift to Irving.