Railroad Forums 

• Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBSR)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1553301  by MEC407

AFAIK they still move by rail in Canada.
 #1553302  by CN9634

There is an opportunity to move McCain's processed consumer products from the plant in Easton, ME down to their core markets in MA and NY using CP haulage on either end. McCain's has a contract with Cryotrans for use of their reefer fleet. McCain's also owns Day & Ross and has a contract with Prime (at least last I knew) for some of their long haul trucking business.

They like most folks up there have been soured by years of bad experience with rail, so maybe they'll come back now that MNR has an established service record and CP can quote direct through rates. I'm sure the sales people at CP have had their hands full and not reach all potential shippers just yet.
 #1553309  by fromway

It is amazing how many PRIME haulers come off I95 in Houlton and make the left turn up US 1 to Easton. Also, lots of flat beds make the same trip to go to HUBER. I know both of these operations get tank cars with materials they use in the manufacturing of their products. But yes, they have all been burned in the past and it will take a lot of talking to get them on to steel instead of rubber. Good luck to the Sales Department. How about a Trans Load facility in Oakfield?
 #1553396  by MaineCentral252

Cosakita18 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:20 pm I don't think potatoes move by rail anywhere anymore, that's not unique to Aroostook. However there must be some opportunity for more inbound feed and fertilizer. There's still plenty of agriculture up there.
There is a small amount of inbound fertilizer, but that's it. Potatoes, grain (barley, oats), and broccoli are the extent of the agriculture.

Also, the potato traffic largely moves into Canada (NB or PEI) or is processed locally. Finished products from the County are fries from McCain and mashed potatoes from Pineland. Higher value traffic than bulk potatoes, for sure, but rail is still at a disadvantage for a number of reasons, many of which have been noted. McCain could certainly move outbound if the service was up to snuff, though they definitely wouldn't be interested in second chances. That's how high value traffic works: do it or don't. There's no try.
 #1553461  by Zeke

That draft of brand new CMQ covered hoppers that showed up a year or so ago I read they had a new customer up there. Anyone know details. They looked sharp when new but now the vandals have some of them crapped up with graffiti.
 #1553630  by backroadrails

I don't believe those were brand new, I think they got them from ACFX and had them rebuilt/repainted. They were purchased to transport oats and other grains out of Houlton I believe. I remember seeing quite a few going on CMQ and Pan Am in the winter months, but with the CP buyout, it looks like they are being stored in Millinocket.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1555126  by fromway

Reports and videos/pictures on Northern Maine Railway FB page relate that DODX train is currently in West Seboeis waiting for a crew change. From there it will go to Brownville for a handoff to CP. From there it will go to Bangor for handoff to PAR. Should be plenty of opportunities for more videos and pictures.