• Payment for onboard services-cash or credit card?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by NJ3rdRAIL

Can anyone offer a suggestion on which is the better method of payment on board (the Crescent NWK-NOL) for snack bar items, beverages, etc. I recall reading somewhere that cash is frowned upon but it seems using a credit card for a small purchase in the snack bar would be a hassle. We are travelling First Class so meals are included but I am guessing if I want a glass of wine or a coctail at dinner, I will have to pay for that separately. Do I go to the lounge and get a drink and bring it to the diner or will an attendant get that for me with my meal?

Can't seem to find any literature about this in my papers.

Thanks.

by LSA493

Bring cash. The credit cards are a pain in the butt.

The diners "should " have liquor and wine available. If not, the steward (the one wearing a suit coat) should walk up to the lounge and get whatever you ordered.

by updrumcorpsguy

LSA493 wrote: The diners "should " have liquor and wine available. If not, the steward (the one wearing a suit coat) should walk up to the lounge and get whatever you ordered.
But only if the lounge got stocked ;-) One of my pet peeves is lounge cars without cordials, or where the attendant doesn't chill the white wine (or chills the red instead). I know it's sort of nitpicky, but I'm an old bartender, and things like that bug me. Plus it's nice to have a nightcap if you are in the mood.

I dont' think cash is frowned on as long as you don't have huge bills. Trying to buy a candy bar with a $50 is not a great idea, for instance. If you do charge something, you will need your ticket stub at the time of purchase.

btw, The new 1/2 bottles of wine in the diner are great. They are just the right size, and if you don't want to drink all of it, you can put the stopper back in and finish it later. I wish they sold them in the lounge as well.

by NJ3rdRAIL

If you do charge something, you will need your ticket stub at the time of purchase.

Exactly the kind of details I needed. Thank you.

The half of bottle of wine at dinner sounds good. We will have a bottle of bubbly chilling in the sleeper for when the little one falls asleep, so too much wine at dinner would probably wind up having ALL of us fall asleep at 9:30 lights out!

Thanks again.

by queenlnr8

I must agree, credit cards on Amtrak are a big pain in the butt.

I paid for dinner on a Silver Service train with my AmEx. Took almost three months to clear.

Cash is the way to travel on Amtrak.
  by cbaker

It's been awhile since I checked the OBS rulebook but I don't believe credit cards are an option for lounge car purchases -- they're only allowed to be accepted for full-service dining car meals or purchase of an upgrade in the transportation. Further, I believe the minimum transaction amount for using a credit card on-board the train is #25.00

by LI Loco

If there is a $25 credit card minimum in dining cars, that's a relatively new development. 12 years ago coming east on the Cardinal I was cash-strapped and could only afford lunch in the lounge car. The Chief of OBS told me I could use my credit card in the diner (where the food was better), which I did, not only for lunch but also for a steak dinner.

by RMadisonWI

If you want to be sure Amtrak gets the money (albeit, a bit slowly), use a credit card. Some dining car stewards have been busted for scamming Amtrak out of cash.

by updrumcorpsguy

I have used my credit card on several occasions for the splits of wine. I've never had a problem - although it does take a long time for the charges to show up on your card (which is sometimes a good thing for me ;-)

by David Benton

if you want to make sure amtrak gets the money , and want to pay cash , you could ask fo ra reciept .
  by LSA493

cbaker wrote:It's been awhile since I checked the OBS rulebook but I don't believe credit cards are an option for lounge car purchases -- they're only allowed to be accepted for full-service dining car meals or purchase of an upgrade in the transportation. Further, I believe the minimum transaction amount for using a credit card on-board the train is #25.00
My Manual A (last updated in the Warrington Era so somewhat out of date) says that credit cards are acceptable for all services but to use good judgment in accepting them. Since it's a manual procedure, cards are frowned upon for small purchases. The $25.00 minimum is a new one to me.
  by cbaker

Admittedly, I'm wasn't too sure about the $25.00 minimum charge. Actually, reading the latest timetable (page 125), the $25.00 minimum purchase rule applies to payment by personal check. I must have gotten the two things jumbled in my previous post. Sorry.

Also, the same section of the Amtrak timetable does bear out my statement about limitations on types of purchases eligible for credit cards. On page 125 it says...
[American Express, Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard and VISA] cards are also accepted on board trains for Dining Car meals and at Quik-Trak ticket machines.
While the statement doesn't specifically rule out Lounge Car purchases, I'm pretty confident that credit cards are not accepted in Lounge Cars.

by NJ3rdRAIL

I guess I will bring some extra cash with me-I find credit cards and travellers checks more trouble than they are worth most times. I already have my gratuity for the sleeper car attendant in a separate envelope in my purse so I will only need see how much our "complimentary/pre-paid" meals total up to so I can figure on the tips for the meals we take in the diner.

I guess if there is a minimum of $25 for charge cards, I [/i]could[i] have a few more coridals than I had originally planned on :wink:

12 hours to the minute (hopefully) til we hear "all aboard"... they still say that, do'nt they?[/i]
  by C&O 15

Visa and Mastercard do not allow merchants to set minimum purchase requirements. If somebody (such as Amtrak) accepts these cards, they must accept them for purchases of any amount.

For further info, see the following:
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/200 ... rodtype=cc
  by bill haithcoat

If you do pay for something by credit card, note that your bill will probably say, "Washington, D.C" and you will wander, "What did I do in Washington DC?" That is because Amtrak's billing is, or at least used to be, based in DC.