• Payment for onboard services-cash or credit card?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by SouthernRailway

GWoodle wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:34 pm
SouthernRailway wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:24 pm On my recent trips, cafe cars have been credit card only. However you still have to use a pen to sign a receipt: that seems to defeat the purpose (avoiding contact) of using credit cards instead of cash.
Need a different CC reader with some touch buttons to add tips, then sign in on the screen?

need CC reader to sign with a stylus instead of a pen? Then get instant copy receipt if you wish?
Sorry, I don’t understand your post.

Amtrak should allow you to order through an Amtrak app and then just pick up your food from the counter in the cafe car. That’s contactless and plenty of restaurants do it. And with Amtrak’s limited menu, it shouldn’t be hard to do.

The Flexible Dining breakfast is garbage and I’d just as soon stop at a grocery store on the way to the train station and get something better and more filling.
  by GWoodle

SouthernRailway wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:33 pm
GWoodle wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:34 pm
SouthernRailway wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:24 pm On my recent trips, cafe cars have been credit card only. However you still have to use a pen to sign a receipt: that seems to defeat the purpose (avoiding contact) of using credit cards instead of cash.
Need a different CC reader with some touch buttons to add tips, then sign in on the screen?

need CC reader to sign with a stylus instead of a pen? Then get instant copy receipt if you wish?
Sorry, I don’t understand your post.

Amtrak should allow you to order through an Amtrak app and then just pick up your food from the counter in the cafe car. That’s contactless and plenty of restaurants do it. And with Amtrak’s limited menu, it shouldn’t be hard to do.

The Flexible Dining breakfast is garbage and I’d just as soon stop at a grocery store on the way to the train station and get something better and more filling.
I'm talking about the kind of gadget UPS uses. A scan reader for bar codes on packages. A place to sign with a stylus. Stylus comes in a slot in the device. Even at Dollar Tree you have the option to get a paper receipt or not. Use the receipt to show business expense. Have 1 device for the conductor to show passengers boarding. Have another in the diner set to include any tax & tips if you wish.