• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Matt Johnson

Two of 'em were on the rear of the Silver Meteor tonight, as seen on the Ashland railcam.
  by ApproachMedium

daybeers wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:3 more units are scheduled to leave the plant soon, they are billed to go directly to storage in miami.
Per a reliable source on Amtrak Unlimited, this is incorrect.
Per the reliable source, thats where they are going. I dont know what amtrak unlimited is but I do know theres no use for any more diners right now unless they plan to store other ones they are using.
  by daybeers

ApproachMedium wrote:
daybeers wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:3 more units are scheduled to leave the plant soon, they are billed to go directly to storage in miami.
Per the reliable source, thats where they are going. I dont know what amtrak unlimited is but I do know theres no use for any more diners right now unless they plan to store other ones they are using.
Please know I didn't mean any disrespect. I was just trying to point out that another reliable source says otherwise here. Then go to the next page and see the other comments. Amtrak Unlimited is a train forum like Railroad.net, but it focuses more on Amtrak than anything else.
  by gokeefe

ApproachMedium wrote:
daybeers wrote:
I can think of worse reasons for equipment to have to go into storage. They won't stay there forever ...
  by ApproachMedium

Sorry about that. I guess whoever is over there thinks the info is coming from traindisorders. We shall see what happens, but directly to storage seems to make the most sense. Its not like they are short diners and looking to add dining car service and the source I got the info from is very good.
  by jp1822

Delivery of these two diners puts the Viewliner II Diner Count at 24 received (Albany I believe is the only one left to be delivered after it has some re-tooling done). The Viewliner Diner Prototype is also floating around, so there's technically 25 Viewliner Diners. Only 11 are required for service. If they are not going out to service (Amtrak's already got 11 in service), WHERE besides storage in Hialeah, will they be going to? Amtrak has come up with NO operating plan for these diners - not even to use them on eastern long distance trains as Viewliner Lounges of sorts (with the kitchen area closed so as to avoid all operating expenses). Absolutely crazy! Nearly 10 years to get these cars and once on Amtrak property, best use for them is PARKED in Miami. If anyone has any other evidence of them being used for something, or plans for them to being used for something - curious minds would LOVE to know or see pictures of such!
  by David Benton

Maybe they are waiting for the RFP for contracting out food services results. I believe they list all the diners in that .
  by Gilbert B Norman

Might VIA be interested in buying some, if not all, of them?

But the best hope is that appropriation legislation starts in the House - and come January, there will be a new Sheriff and Deputies in town. Possibly the for profit mandate will be replaced with language to the effect of "dining service will be provided economically and efficiently consistent with passenger comfort and convenience". It's in the House bill and maybe the Senate will have other battles to fight. The President is hardly about to veto a Spending Bill over Amtrak funding.
  by ApproachMedium

The only other possability i could see is if they DO find buyers for all of those H bags they are trying to unload then these diners will likely fill that gap for axle counters.
  by quad50cal

Gilbert B Norman wrote: But the best hope is that appropriation legislation starts in the House - and come January, there will be a new Sheriff and Deputies in town.
I'm particularly optimistic about the new chair of the House Transportation Committee. Quite an improvement from the Mica era.

https://i.imgur.com/6bmf8Ml.jpg
  by Rockingham Racer

quad50cal wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote: But the best hope is that appropriation legislation starts in the House - and come January, there will be a new Sheriff and Deputies in town.
I'm particularly optimistic about the new chair of the House Transportation Committee. Quite an improvement from the Mica era.

https://i.imgur.com/6bmf8Ml.jpg
Bad link.
  by jp1822

David Benton wrote:Maybe they are waiting for the RFP for contracting out food services results. I believe they list all the diners in that .
There’s an RFI (request for information) regarding all Amtrak F&B operations, dining operations, onboard F&B logistics etc. out to bid, but this is more of a consulting project where Amtrak is looking for a report - information - on what’s the best model to put in place for its entire network. Stems from Congressional mandate on F&B and also to “modernize.” I believe the essence or purpose of the RFI calls for a “consulting company/companies” to be identified by mid November 2018, and then really looking at 2019 for an all out comprehensive study to be done on ALL F&B options/service in the Amtrak system. Implemention would still be a ways out. That puts EVERYTHING on the table for Amtrak F&B and more of a wholistic approach, which is very well needed, but hopefully some useful info comes out of it. Purely a “study.”

Waiting on that RFI in order to put VIewliner II Diners in place - not the most efficient way to get equipment in service that could be making some money now (through an upsell in “class” of service) or providing an amenity/service to passengers instead of “storing the cars” and allowing for issues to accrue on getting said cars out in a year or so while waiting on study to be complete. Also makes one take pause about trying to re-engineer the VIewliner II Diners, pending outcome of said study on Amtrak F&B.

VIA would likely be interested in the Heritage Diners, but without the cracked sills.......They’d certainly have their maintenance staff go over things with a fine tooth comb. With what VIA has, and considering they just renewed their “Heritage Diners” - I could see them purchasing the top five best Heritage Diners Amtrak has if they could get a good price. Viewliner II Diners, next best thing, but I personally don’t see VIA taking the bite on that one. If VIA was in expansion instead of contraction, might be a different story...........The need sleepers and diners for the most part. Even currently in peak season, they are running EVERYTHING that they can. Barely spare anything around in peak season. Even with two days a week operation next year, I bet they still try to run as much as they can, perhaps having a backup set for when trains run late.......
  by jp1822

ApproachMedium wrote:The only other possability i could see is if they DO find buyers for all of those H bags they are trying to unload then these diners will likely fill that gap for axle counters.
And that’s a good use for a piece of equipment that cost around $4M per car - to be dead-headed around as axle counters so they can get unneeded wear and tear (did we just not hear how the Heritage Diners had “too much wear and tear and needed to be retired”), produce no revenue benefit whatsoever ($5 is better than $0), potentially be involved in an accident for service they are not intended for (risk factor)...... I could go on, but I think you get my point. Passengers have waited 10 +/- years JUST to see these cars become axle counters.

Plenty of other equipment around to be used as axle count cars, OR retain the needed Heritage Bags for said service, just like certain Heritage Sleepers and Heritage Diners have been retained.
  by Arlington

Can't chase $5 in revenue if it requires $10 in staff and ingredients costs.
  by gokeefe

Completely agreed.