• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mtuandrew

The SDP40F deserves an honorable mention too, even if Amtrak got some F40PHRs and CF-7s out of the deal. At least the V-IIs seem reliable, durable, and to have good ride qualities after teething, or employees haven’t mentioned faults much if not the case.
  by ApproachMedium

mtuandrew wrote:The SDP40F deserves an honorable mention too, even if Amtrak got some F40PHRs and CF-7s out of the deal. At least the V-IIs seem reliable, durable, and to have good ride qualities after teething, or employees haven’t mentioned faults much if not the case.
These ViewIIs have their problems. We already have a bunch of baggage cars that the batteries are dead. So as soon as HEP is off, even with the fancy LED lighting they go pitch black instantly other than the marker lights and brake lights (strange??) It may actually be a battery charger issue for the LVPS system. They also, even with having the wheel slide protection seem to develop flat spots very often. They have been regulated to rear of train service because their boat anchor brake response ends up jamming the sleepers around when they are at the head end. So off to the rear they go...

As far as the deliveries go, you'll know when we know and right now we know nothing!!!
  by bostontrainguy

ApproachMedium wrote:These ViewIIs have their problems. We already have a bunch of baggage cars that the batteries are dead. So as soon as HEP is off, even with the fancy LED lighting they go pitch black instantly other than the marker lights and brake lights (strange??) It may actually be a battery charger issue for the LVPS system. They also, even with having the wheel slide protection seem to develop flat spots very often. They have been regulated to rear of train service because their boat anchor brake response ends up jamming the sleepers around when they are at the head end. So off to the rear they go...

As far as the deliveries go, you'll know when we know and right now we know nothing!!!
I was wondering if the new diners had a battery backup so that you could avoid eating your meal in darkness in DC while they switch engines.
  by Tadman

Matt Johnson wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:
But allow me to say, this has been the most "botched" major procurement of equipment Amtrak has confronted within its 47 years of existence.
Assuming the RTL-III Turboliner upgrade doesn't count as major, then I guess it's either this or the Nippon-Sharyo bilevel order. At least this has produced some actual rolling stock, though I guess the other procurement will too in the form of Siemens single level cars.

Any word on where the one bag-dorm went after being delivered?
"most botched" is a lofty title given the unending botches related to government procurement of railcars and engines. Virtually anything not offered off-the-shelf has been a zoo.
  by Tadman

MOD NOTE

Axle count material has been moved to a new thread.

What to do with new diners has been moved to a new thread as well.

Enjoy your weekend!
  by ApproachMedium

bostontrainguy wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:These ViewIIs have their problems. We already have a bunch of baggage cars that the batteries are dead. So as soon as HEP is off, even with the fancy LED lighting they go pitch black instantly other than the marker lights and brake lights (strange??) It may actually be a battery charger issue for the LVPS system. They also, even with having the wheel slide protection seem to develop flat spots very often. They have been regulated to rear of train service because their boat anchor brake response ends up jamming the sleepers around when they are at the head end. So off to the rear they go...

I was wondering if the new diners had a battery backup so that you could avoid eating your meal in darkness in DC while they switch engines.

Diners have battery as trains always have had for emergency lighting, the new design allows for all interior lighting to remain lit during HEP disconnect as it is all low voltage LED lighting. The test diner 8400 the lights stayed on for almost 2 days when it first came to sunnyside.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Although it appears several "inside sources" have had "lips Ziplocked" of late, other discussion boards have noted that 10 - "Dover" and 11- "Frankfort" are to be released "soon".

As Mr. JP will likely be quick to note over at the "assignment" topic, two more to "sun themselves" at Hialeah.
  by Bob Roberts

ApproachMedium wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:They also, even with having the wheel slide protection seem to develop flat spots very often.
Funny you should mention that, I was in downtown Durham last week when the 80 arrived. I could hear a square wheel from several blocks away, so I walked over to watch the train depart and it was clearly coming from the Viewbag. I honestly wondered if the bag was going to make it to the shop.
  by ApproachMedium

3 more units are scheduled to leave the plant soon, they are billed to go directly to storage in miami.
  by DutchRailnut

Two engines and Amcafe went up yesterday towards CAF 520-Amcafe-95.
  by gokeefe

ApproachMedium wrote:3 more units are scheduled to leave the plant soon, they are billed to go directly to storage in miami.
Well now we know the answer to that question ... Thanks for the update.
  by Matt Johnson

When they get sent to Bear, DE then I'll start to get worried!
  by ApproachMedium

Matt Johnson wrote:When they get sent to Bear, DE then I'll start to get worried!
Nothing is going to Bear DE right now, they are trying to clear Bear out in anticipation of storage of the Acela trainsets as well as maintaining space for winter concrete tie car storage.
  by daybeers

ApproachMedium wrote:3 more units are scheduled to leave the plant soon, they are billed to go directly to storage in miami.
Per a reliable source on Amtrak Unlimited, this is incorrect.
  by mtuandrew

daybeers wrote:
Per a reliable source on Amtrak Unlimited, this is incorrect.
AM is a reliable source as well, one who may have access to the scheduled car movements. Maybe we don’t discount him yet?