• LV Naples Branch

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by Lehighton_Man

Howdy,
I Hate to revive an ancient topic.. but i am always wondering about this little line. I have obtained 2 pictures showing the branch, where the "Rushco" Gas station stands today, and the Rt. 245 grade just outside of Middlesex. I am still very interested in various photos showing all aspects of the branch, favorably in the diesel era. Track layouts for towns would be good too.
Thanks,
Sean
  by tjflynn

Thanks for the memories. In my nearly 10 years in Geneva (1964-73), I don't recall seeing a train on the branch, but remember well the RS units in the yard, the R&E bridge, and air horns during outdoor gym class at Geneva Jr. High. Also, rode my old Schwinn on a very bumpy trip along the ties from Pre-emption Rd. to west of the 5/20 crossing. A buddy of mine was looking for insulators, and we searched through the right-of-way, and some adjacent rural junkyards. The railheads were rusted, so I'm guessing it was the summer of '73. Shortly after that, I remember the 5/20 crossing being paved over. This is a bit off topic, but does anyone remember the PC wreck at Castle St. in Geneva, in '68 or '69?
  by lvrr325

Ironically, 35 years later there are still poles with insulators on them along the former main line.

Naples Branch stuff is tough to come by, all I could come up with was one file with a map that shows a main track and a siding, and a couple of prints showing the Stanley crossing with the PRR. By '75 it was out of service "account track conditions" and I think that dated to 1972 or 1973. Seems to me speed limit was in the single digits in a 1968 timetable, but I can't find that one.

You can still make out some of it from the overhead shots on Live Local, though.
  by TB Diamond

tjflynn:

See previous posts on page 1 of this thread for Naples Branch last run, embargo and abandonment information.

Per Lehigh Valley Railroad ETT No. 9 dated 27 October 1968 the speed restriction on the Naples Branch Geneva-Naples was 10 mph.
  by CPSD40-2

Someone in Geneva has a photo of an RS3, I believe, switching a single hopper of coal into the experimental station, right at the crossing of Pre-Emption Rd. If I can get a copy and scan it in, I'll gladly share it.

There's still a poured concrete pole in place right where the line passed under North St, though it may have been part of the trolley line, as a similar pole is still in the yard of a house on the corner of County Road 4 and Johnson Road.

Did Widmer ever ship or receive via rail? The line ran right through their operation there, so I have always assumed so.
  by Lehighton_Man

Yes, Widmer got shipments in Covered hoppers, unknown Commodity, and shipped wine out in boxcars. That didn't last very long though.
Question about arrangement of Expirement Station off Pre-emption rd:
Is this Correct?
  by scottychaos

Here is a map I made years back, marking the location of the Naples turntable,
"end of the line" for the branch:

for years I have been meaning to try to take a look through those woods..
see if I can find out the owner of the land and ask if I can take a walk through there..
it appears the land remains undeveloped since the railroad left..
might still be some visable artifacts out there! foundations and such.. maybe..
(or more likely, it was bulldozed clean and there is nothing to see..but you never know!)

anyone know if there was ever a small Naples roundhouse?
or was it just the turntable?

bing aerial of the spot:
http://tinyurl.com/m2ujoc

Scot
  by Lehighton_Man

Nah, No roundhouse Scotty. The table was just used to turn the small Camelbacks that came down to run back to geneva. As far as i know, the pit, and Table are all still there, they, like the manchester table, was just filled in and left to stay. Though, Do not quote me on this. If you do go to Naples, make a stop in Middlesex, I might be able to show you where the Grain Elevator used to be. ;)
Sean
  by TB Diamond

Seems that I was told several years ago that the Naples turntable had been removed and the pit backfilled.
  by CPSD40-2

Lehighton - Yes, that is the correct layout for the experiment station in Geneva. If you go up to where the underpass was, you can see everything clear as day, especially on the north side of North St. A friend tells me he remembers an SP boxcar delivering supplies for work done on the bride there long long ago.
  by lvrr325

Given the abandonment date I'd be more shocked if the pit wall was torn out, I'm sure it was filled in but I have to think if you know where to look you can find the walls. Unless they were wood or stone.
  by Lehighton_Man

I don't believe the pit was stone.. i think it was concrete if i recall..? I'll have to check my records and get back to you on that.
  by scottychaos

by Lehighton_Man

Funny to see how there were no tracks even then. as of 69' the tracks went as far as the widmers winery plant, then stopped, since the table wasn't needed to turn the simple SW7 serving the branch line at all.
Thanks for the pictures Scotty.
Sean