Railroad Forums 

• LV Naples Branch

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#207727  by CPSD40-2

Drove along the old Naples Branch yesterday, got me thinking.

When was the last train to Naples? Stanley? Anyone know the power used?

I remember seeing somewhere a photo of an RS3 ( I think ) switching coal at the Experiment station; did that little leg stay in service past the abandonment of the rest fo the line?
 #208228  by TB Diamond

The last train operated to Naples on October 20, 1970. Power was a SW8 locomotive. The Naples Branch Rushville-Naples was abandoned in November, 1970. Afterwards, Rushville saw bi-weekly service. The remainder of the branch, Geneva-Rushville was embargoed by the railroad on February 28, 1973 and abandoned on February 28, 1975. It is doubtful that there was any further service to the New York Experiment Station on Pre-emption Road after the branch was embargoed.
 #210866  by Matt Langworthy

Mike Bednar's Lehigh Valley: Wyoming & buffalo Divisions has some excellent pictures of the line in operation during the early '70s. It certainly looked in rough shape, and the Flood of 1972 probably hastened its demise. SWs and RS2/3s were the preferred power on the Naples Branch, with RS-3 #215 being the most frequently photographed power.

The LV estate apparently tore up the branch circa 1978. I saw it (during a family car trip) not long before that- probably '76 or '77. The tracks were choked with weeds, and the rails looked like few if any trains had been running on them.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #216780  by TB Diamond

Went through some old correspondence and found the following information pertaining to the last train on the branch Geneva-Rushville: Lehigh Valley Train Order No. 305 dated March 21, 1973 authorized Engine 129 to work extra 12:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. between Geneva and Rushville. There was a notation on the reverse of the clearance card which read:"Last Orders". Therefore, it would appear that there were some final cars to pick up after the branch was embargoed or that the date given previously for the embargo was in error.

#471419  by Lehighton_Man

Sorry to brign back an old thread guys, but such an interesting thread, and Coneincidence. That VERY branch line, backs my property, and today, its a farm field road... :P
Any photographs, or images that i can get my hands on would be awesome.
Thanks guys,
Sean

#471465  by TB Diamond

Lehighton:

Flags Diamonds and Statues, Vol. 5, No. 4 has an excellent article with several photos of activity on the Naples branch.

#471569  by Lehighton_Man

Thanks TB, i'll check into that.
Cheers,
Sean

#472027  by bwparker1

TB Diamond wrote:Lehighton:

Flags Diamonds and Statues, Vol. 5, No. 4 has an excellent article with several photos of activity on the Naples branch.
How can one go about obtaining an old copy Flags. Diamonds & Statues Vol 5. No. 4.?

Brooks

#472117  by JhnZ33

bwparker1 wrote:
TB Diamond wrote:Lehighton:

How can one go about obtaining an old copy Flags. Diamonds & Statues Vol 5. No. 4.?

Brooks
Click HERE

#472162  by bwparker1

Thanks, that is EXACTLY what I was hoping for, and I hope it is a good revenue source for the organization. Are you a member?

Brooks

#472214  by JhnZ33

bwparker1 wrote:Thanks, that is EXACTLY what I was hoping for, and I hope it is a good revenue source for the organization. Are you a member?

Brooks
No, not a member, but do have that Volume (for the Ashley Planes article).

John

#475199  by Lehighton_Man

ok, well i understand that there are photographs in such book, but does anybody here have photographs that are scannable of the naples branch in operation? Being a resident of the branch(it basically backs my property) i would like to see the branch in its hey-day.
Thanks,
Sean

#475731  by trwinship

Check out the Ontario County Museum in Canandaigua. Years ago somebody published a pictorial history of Ontario County (can't remember the name, interesting photos but horrendously inaccurate text) with some great photos of LVRR camelbacks on the Naples Branch that I do remember being sourced from the museum.
 #485748  by lvrr 560

The LV boxcar being spotted at the Experimental Station was material
for the bridge gang to repair the former R & E bridge. I was told that the LV was responsible for the underside and the city of Geneva the upper side.

#497466  by joshuahouse

trwinship wrote:Check out the Ontario County Museum in Canandaigua. Years ago somebody published a pictorial history of Ontario County (can't remember the name, interesting photos but horrendously inaccurate text) with some great photos of LVRR camelbacks on the Naples Branch that I do remember being sourced from the museum.
While the ONtario County collection is interesting, the collection in Geneva includes one of the USRA Valuation reports from the 1920s.