• Official Bel-Del Discussion Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pierrerabbit

Don - Did you ever find any pics of the GE when she was working the plant?
  by Donko142

No, I can't beleive I can't find a picture of this engine in service anywhere. Will post new pics later, had a very weekend. Almost the whole cab is primed and ready for some color. Just have to get 1/5 of the cab and 1 hood sanded down and were ready. Work goes fast with 3 or more people working with the currect tools. The #1 engine and air compressor are running well and the new parts are starting to fill up my storage unit.
  by Donko142

1 Hood ready for paint inside and out. Cab 80% ready for paint. 20% and 1 hood to go, then the color goes on.

by larry1090

he is another shot...

IMG01156-20100605-1627.JPG
  by X4401

I'm not very familiar with the area, but I find the track work (as well as the engine restoration) very interesting. I'm having a tough time figuring out which way the work is progressing. North towards the old Manunka Chunk tunnels near Colombia NJ or is it going south from P-Burg towards Trenton? Ive tried searching the place names in Google and on an old Bel Del map but for some reason I'm getting more and more confused as I go lol.

Keep up the good work guys! :-D
  by NYS&W142Fan

X4401, we are heading South from P'burg. It will give us almost 7 miles one way. And each year we try to add more.
  by Donko142

I have not been there since last Saturday, but from what I understand the track contractor has installed approx 650 ties so far. There installed to MP 44.3. If you remember MP 44 from last year, this is where the town paved up to the rail and the contractor came in and replaced every tie as seen in the pic's from last year. We all hoping to make MP 43 by the Thomas event in July, but it will be close. Again, were going step by step each year after year. Once we get to MP 43. we will only be 1.2 miles from our first station stop at Reigelsville.

Glad you like the updates X4401, could always use another hand on the projects.
  by Donko142

The funding is tight, but no worries. We'll get it done like we always do, all you have to do is believe in the team like we all do down here. Thomas event coming up July 2,3,4 & 9 10 11. For the railfans, I think this weekend coming up will be the 142's first trip onto some new track. Should be running about another mile South. I'm engineer on Sunday, really hoping to get over the bridge and down near MP44, like to let the people down south keep hearing the whistle getting closer each year. Think I will have to put the N&W steamboat (J) whistle on for Sunday.
  by Donko142

Well tomorrow these rails will feel a steam locomotive for the first time in many decades. One can look back a few weeks in this post and see the pictures of the tracks about 100 yards North of here and get a good idea what the contractors brush hog did. We also pick up the double bridge over River Rd for our passengers to see. ( road and river under RR bridge ) We will be running down to about 44.2 tomorrow.

by larry1090

Don how did it go ? get any pic's of 142 further down the line? I just got back in from CA. i'll be down this weekend.

larry
  by Donko142

All went well, Sunday was a nice day. The new track was great, only 10 mph till tamper goes over it. All these years I kept saying it would be awsome to run over that double bridge for a Lerro Photo trip. Well I finally ( better late then never ) ran the steam engine over it. Gary's got pictures somewhere and there was an above average number of people rail fanning on Sunday. All and all it was a good day, it was me and Rich in the cab. He was on vacation from NJT and we always have a good time together, are pasts are close. Both started at New Hope in the early to mid 90's, then we both landed at Steamtown in the 90's as well. Now were here enjoying the same thing we always have. It will be all hands on deck for the next two 3 day weekends, well over 20,000 will ride the rails of the old PRR main I'm sure.

Be very safe out there.
  by larry1090

Don thanks for the update. maybe when gary has time after Day out with Thomas we can see the pictures. ill be down this Fri. and Sat. ill get some Pic's when I can and will post later. can't wait to help out. it's going to be a busy fun day. :-D

larry
  by NJT4272

The Nathan P-5 and the Wabco AA-2 salute NYS&W 142 - July 11, 2010