Railroad Forums 

• Official Bel-Del Discussion Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#796425  by cjvrr

Turn it into a positive ---- get those kids involved with your efforts! If they are that industrious to build a fort, imagine what they could do if given some tools and equipment!

I know they are probably under age and all that, but invite them to visit the shop, give them free tickets to an event, get them involved. As soon as they are old enough, they might be the first one there to turn the lights on in the morning....
 #796691  by Donko142

Very god idea, buy they were like 12. It would be awhile. Reporting from the Adirondacks today, had a great trip on the Adirondack Scenic last night and it's snowing hard as I type this, unreal !!
 #797380  by Donko142

Like I always say, there's alot going on down at the Baer Shop week after week !! As one can see the are new tubes in and the steam gauge should start moving up towards 200 psi on time, as planed for the operating season. I must speak my mind a bit today. My hats are all off to Gary Mathews and all of our volunteers full tilt !!!!! I am involved and have been involved in more then a few railroads with a steam engine, what takes months and even years in most real shops with real heavy duty equipment, we get done here in weeks on 97.5 % VOLUNTEER POWER !!!! We have 1 ( that's ONE ) paid employee, but we have a large group of motivated volunteers that don't get burned out after a few months or years. Unreal, find bad tubes in March, new tubes ordered, swedged and installed by mid April and under steam like always by May ! PLUS all this work, week after week comes out of a shop with a generator for power, a gasoline powered air compressor for air and a dirt floor !! You guys are all the real deal and a great bunch of people, thanks for all the good times !! P.S. Thanks in advance for all the good times to come. 2010 is going to be a big year for us here !!

#797982  by larry1090

tracker wrote:As usual, Gary Matthews does an unbelievable job under difficult conditions.
It amazes me if we don't have the tool for a job, he just makes a tool. Its not like you can go to the home depot to get
steam Eng. Tools off the rack.
 #798851  by Donko142

Hello all. Like I have been posting there's alot of very big improvments coming to the Bel Del this year, it looks like a few of our new additions arrived yesterday. Pictures to follow, I think there will be alot of posts showing up with in the next 3 weeks in regards to big improvements. Don't want to put the cart in front of the horse, just keep watching. We will be working on the ROW spraying and cutting on Monday. Work in the shop in 142 will be on going today, Sat and Sun.

Always room for more hands to help out !

Have a great weekend, be safe
 #803020  by Ken W2KB

bigjim4life wrote:According to this article at http://www.californiachronicle.com/arti ... /144313379, they are advertising steam train rides - will 142 be up and running soon?
Swung by there late this afternoon, and the goal is currently Memorial Day weekend. If all goes well, and if anyone can pull it off they can, coal smoke will be in the air in a month.
 #803750  by Donko142

That's currect, will get er done!! Gary and our awsome volunteer crew always do ! On top off all the boiler work going on other parts of the loco are getting there share of TLC also. Even the coal box got a go over with the neddle gun and received a fresh coat of paint as seen below. Soon 12.5 tons of black diamonds will find a short term home in this bunker.

Fred and myself were at the shop today getting the truck set up for the spray rig. I'm sad to say we got on the rails and made it less the a quarter mile and the storm from hell came in hard and fast out of no where. Our rain day will be next Mon or Tues.

Be Safe ( And don't think I forgot about our little pup "45 ton GE" she was running today for a hour or so soaking up the sun )
 #806577  by Donko142

Monday was another day of work /fun on the B/D. As I posted we haven't forgot about the GE, parts have been coming in for months. In a few weeks 142 will be out on the train Sat & Sun. This means we can roll the GE into the shop and have easy access to all the air tools and so on. Once this happens I feel this project is going to really start moving along.
Here she is just idling in the sun, a far cry from the scrap pile she was almost in.

One can see the amount of work that was done on hood #1 at the Dorns shop, Keith did a GREAT job on # 1!!! The whole hood was painted inside and out. All louvers removed ( after a long battle ) sand blasted and re-installed, all doors latches re alined and everything is working and moving as it should !! Kieth did this on on his own, my hats are all off to him !
I hope he does as good of a job on hood number 2 in a few weeks, lol

The railroad was sprayed from MP39 Noth to Phillipsburg and a heavy application was applied between MP 45 and 43 with the anticipation of this years track project starting soon. ( our biggest yet ) If this all happens it will put us 1.1 miles from Reigelsville ( Phase 1 )and the station platform that the RR still owns.
 #808660  by Donko142

Things are moving right along, the 142 should be out under steam with in a few weeks. As one can see below the workers were at it today on coach 533, the floor is allmost fully preped for the new tiles. This will be yet another coach through the shop and receiving a new tile floor, seats, windows seals as well as a seat frame rebuild by Keith that will allow the seats to flip directions, Gary will handle the air brakes and truck work as soon as 142 is on the road. This is coach # 3 that's receive major attention over the last 14 months.

ON TO BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The 2010 track project is underway, this should prove to be our biggest track project yet and take us a big step of the way towards reaching our currect goal of Reigelsville. Track workers from " Innovated Rail Servises " were at work on the track removing old ties near MP 44.4 in this picture. They have already removed every 2nd or 3rd tie from MP 44.80 for installation of new ties and are working there way South daily. Once the ties are installed they will be on the railroad with their bush cutter. We should have this new section of Railroad in service before the July 4th Thomas event.

The railroad was sprayed last week so the brush should be reduced a great deal by next week. Even in the grass look at that 155lbs welded rail, HD to say the least !

LIKE ALWAYS, AGAIN WE MOVE FORWARD YEAR AFTER YEAR !!! New volunteers needed and welcome in our always expanding join effoct on the Bel Del.
P.S. currently SD-9 9581 is on duty as power for the trains until 142 is out of the shop.

Be Safe !!
 #808694  by larry1090

Here is some shots I took last week also while I was down working on the tender.
IMG01015-20100513-1305.jpg
this one looking in the tender.
IMG01022-20100513-1319.jpg

after.
IMG01027-20100513-1535.jpg