• SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

  • Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

  • 144 posts
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 10
  by scottso699
 
Does anyone know what's going on down there? Are they liquidating the railroad? What about the F units? They were still structurally sound but were not in running shape last I had heard. There is also several old CNJ passenger cars there, but I am also no sure whether they are in any condition to be moved either...
  by NJT4272
 
scottso699 wrote:Does anyone know what's going on down there? Are they liquidating the railroad? What about the F units? They were still structurally sound but were not in running shape last I had heard. There is also several old CNJ passenger cars there, but I am also no sure whether they are in any condition to be moved either...
Oh no, sir....... those aren't just any old CNJ passenger cars. Those are former Blue Comet coaches Westphal and D’Arrest. Supposedly still owned by the good ol' URHS of NJ. Last I heard, they'll only leave their current location by flatbed because of friction bearings and outlawed Sharon couplers.

If this is true and that organization allows those 2 cars to be scrapped on site with no effort to save them, I would be outraged if the preservation community as a whole didn't show up at NJ Transit's Fanwood, NJ station on the night of their monthly board meeting to tar and feather the entire lot of those do-nothings!

I tried to start an effort to get them moved to either Boonton or Tuckahoe many years ago when I sat on that board, but I was pushed out before I had a chance to get things rolling.
  by liftedjeep
 
- "d'Arrest"

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4063545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- "Westphal"

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4063546" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-While I'm 100% for preserving these coaches and seeing them restored (especially due to their South Jersey significance), the truth is unless an organization or individual steps up and shells out the money, what good is moving them to Tuckahoe or Boonton going to do? There's already a ton of equipment in Tuckahoe (including a Blue Comet observation car) rusting away, awaiting restoration. Being moved to Boonton would probably put them somewhere at the bottom of the URHS' restoration "grocery list".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be the naysayer and see the two former Blue Comet coaches turned into silverware and pots and pans, and kudos to you "Mr NJT" for making the effort! But if all of the talk is not met with any follow through, ultimately the torches are going to come out.

Just my opinion as a railfan AND realist.
  by NJT4272
 
liftedjeep wrote:- "d'Arrest"

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4063545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- "Westphal"

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4063546" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-While I'm 100% for preserving these coaches and seeing them restored (especially due to their South Jersey significance), the truth is unless an organization or individual steps up and shells out the money, what good is moving them to Tuckahoe or Boonton going to do? There's already a ton of equipment in Tuckahoe (including a Blue Comet observation car) rusting away, awaiting restoration. Being moved to Boonton would probably put them somewhere at the bottom of the URHS' restoration "grocery list".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be the naysayer and see the two former Blue Comet coaches turned into silverware and pots and pans, and kudos to you "Mr NJT" for making the effort! But if all of the talk is not met with any follow through, ultimately the torches are going to come out.

Just my opinion as a railfan AND realist.
Well maybe there's a silver lining here.....

I inquired through an old contact of mine at 'the organization that shall not be named' and I've been told that Blue Comet D'Arrest and Westphal are safe and will eventually be moving to a new home. If I had to guess, the cheapest and easiest solution would be the CMSL, considering the trucks and couplers, but anything is possible.

So if I recall correctly, that only leaves Anthracite's former Lehigh Valley 'John Wilkes' (nee Emerald) tool/commissary car? Or did that meet the torch already? Why am I thinking it did?...........I haven't been to Winslow Junction is a few years.
  by glennk419
 
NJT4272 wrote:
Well maybe there's a silver lining here.....

I inquired through an old contact of mine at 'the organization that shall not be named' and I've been told that Blue Comet D'Arrest and Westphal are safe and will eventually be moving to a new home. If I had to guess, the cheapest and easiest solution would be the CMSL, considering the trucks and couplers, but anything is possible.

So if I recall correctly, that only leaves Anthracite's former Lehigh Valley 'John Wilkes' (nee Emerald) tool/commissary car? Or did that meet the torch already? Why am I thinking it did?...........I haven't been to Winslow Junction is a few years.
Being that they are only a stone's throw from Tuckahoe, would there be any chance of an exemption as a "hospital train" 10 mph equipment move ( after proper servicing of course )?

With the vandalism and scrapper mania going on at Winslow, CMSL seems like a much safer and friendlier place for these cars.
  by liftedjeep
 
-CR #45912 ex Lehigh Valley "John Wilkes"

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4063548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last time I was through Winslow Junction around Thanksgiving, I do recall seeing the two Blue Comet coaches but I don't remember seeing #45912.
Ben
  by NJT4272
 
liftedjeep wrote:-CR #45912 ex Lehigh Valley "John Wilkes"

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4063548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last time I was through Winslow Junction around Thanksgiving, I do recall seeing the two Blue Comet coaches but I don't remember seeing #45912.
Ben
So I guess as of this moment, we don't know if it's already gone or if it's still there? Someone please confirm. Who's been to Winslow Junction recently? Is LV 1554 razor blades?
  by liftedjeep
 
Alright, I contacted a buddy who works for SRNJ. He said that as far as he knows, #45912 IS still there in Winslow.

We won't be shaving with it quite yet!
Ben
  by glennk419
 
liftedjeep wrote:Alright, I contacted a buddy who works for SRNJ. He said that as far as he knows, #45912 IS still there in Winslow.

We won't be shaving with it quite yet!
Ben
Google Maps street view from July 2016 shows it coupled to the B60 up near the AC Line bridge albeit in very rough shape.
  by liftedjeep
 
-The two remaining F units and the RDC have recently been moved from their former locations along the ex Southern Division in Winslow Jct to an area closer to the SRNJ yard office. My guess is that it is an effort to thwart future vandalism or possibly even ready them for a move. RUMOR has it the R&N in Port Clinton is interested in the equipment.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4670585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben
  by liftedjeep
 
-ex SRNJ F units #s 727 & 728, and RDC #7 have had their graffiti painted over, broken windows boarded up, and have been given Reading Blue Mountain & Northern Railroad reporting marks. They were photographed this afternoon in Winslow, awaiting transport to their future home. I would assume that move should be taking place in the near future.

RBMN #251(F7A):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4690437" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RBMN #250(F7A):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4690438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RBMN #9167(RDC1):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4690439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking back towards the Beesley's Point Secondary trestle:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4690440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben
  by glennk419
 
That's great news. I can't wait to see them returned to operation under Andy's ownership.
  by kilroy
 
Unless they're being picked up for parts. Mind you, I don't know either way.
  by glennk419
 
kilroy wrote:Unless they're being picked up for parts. Mind you, I don't know either way.
Given the fact that they have gone to the effort to board up the broken windows to avoid additional damage and deterioration, along with renumbering the equipment into the proper "Reading" numbering ranges ( 250/251 were the first RDG cab units albeit FT's, 9167 is between RBMN's other two operable RDC's ), I was optimistic that restoration is the goal.
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 10