Railroad Forums 

• SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1055343  by blockline4180

chuchubob wrote:My impression is that U.S.Rail ran off much of the business and stopped working. SRNJ came back and is again working the line, and is actively restoring lost business.

Well that is good to hear!!!
I wonder why SRNJ was let go originally??? Did Salem County have some prior "beef" with them or something??
 #1055721  by riffian

Noticed a covered hopper spotted at the feed mill in Woodstown....first time I've seen that. Track still looks like a train would derail standing still.
 #1056074  by EDM5970

I'm sorry to see that 410 has met it's end. I worked on it over at Ball and ran it a several times, and remember it as a decent running little unit. It was very close to as-built condition, almost a time capsule. Did they even try to sell it? I know a few people that may have been interested in something that size.

I hope 412 and the O&W unit aren't next; I went up to Cape Cod on SRNJ's behalf to inspect 412 prior to it's purchase. It too was a good engine when it arrived at Salem. The O&W unit I know very little about, but may have been the most historical of the three; I know it was the oldest.
 #1215073  by oibu

Reports from a few weeks ago indicate 1801 may be next in SRNJ's scrapping spree. Supposedly 3579 was done as well.

Can anyone confirm either, or if 1801 is still there?
 #1397835  by New Haven 1

I sort of got led to this thread after watching an interesting video on youtube about all of the old equipment on this road. I also read on Wiki that in 2013 the NJDOT gave them a grant to repair track. There are videos showing operations in 2014 & 2015. Maybe there is another thread with more up to date info, but, I am not sure which one it would be. I am just curious. What is the latest with this railroad? Are all the upgrades done? How many customers do they have? Are there any new customers?
 #1414830  by liftedjeep

-The former Southern Railroad of New Jersey caboose C-670 left South Jersey this morning on NS 39G:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4612865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rumor has it destined for the New Hope & Ivy Land RR.
Ben
 #1414839  by riffian

The former NYO&W 44 tonner that was formerly at Winslow is reported to be at Scranton, Pa now. Delivered this week. House cleaning on the SRNJ?