• Silver Lake Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by SilverLakeRailroad

Photo's of the B&M 1555 A6 are up. Note the number boards will be installed tomorrow. This is a gorgeous A- Car! Don't miss out on the chance to ride behind it on Saturday! Reserve your seat!

http://www.silverlakerailroad.com/apps/ ... d=13727995
  by Cosmo

Looks GORGEOUS!
  by b&m 1566

Very nice! So when are the cars going to resemble the maroon and gold coaches the BM had?

On a more serious note, what are the official colors named? I've been told the maroon color was officially called B&M Red and the gold stripe was Old Gold. Just recently heard someone say it actually Harvest Gold not Old Gold. Upon some minor reserch, I learned that Old Gold got its name after it started to be replaced with Metallic Gold (aka New Gold).
  by SilverLakeRailroad

B&M 1566, I'll get back to you on that one... I don't remember what the names are, but I will check...

Actually the railroad's red is VERY close to the B&M shade. I wouldn't change the paint on the coaches at all, but what I would do is paint the Excursion Train's A6 in the MEC Green with the gold stripes! Perhaps when that comes up for a repaint in a few years I can do some convincing. I'm still surprised I got that minuteman! It looks AWESOME! The thin yellow stripe is on as well as the lower yellow stripe all the way across. Unfortunetly the Granite weight blocks some of the rear stripes, but it looks good. Now off to install # Boards in the Morning!

Seats still available on the 9AM, 12:50 PM and 6:30 PM. Let's hope for good weather, see you tomorrow if you're stopping by!
  by SilverLakeRailroad

Railfans Day was yet another success! Thanks to any who came, the 55' seemed to grab EVERYONE'S attention! We did end up filling the trains, but I must admit there seemed to be less Railfans there. Nevertheless it was a fun day and we appreciate the donations!

I stopped by the Madison Historical Society with the intent of finding station photo's. I must say that if anything I am now more unsure of the history of the stations. It seems whoever you ask, you get a different story...

Anyhow, I discovered some Madison Railroad artifacts! It's too bad these had to leave the station, before the SLRR got started. At least they have a good home...

The Madison Sign from the Depot!
http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... 131779.jpg

Two GORGEOUS benches from the Madison Station! They have B&M RR drilled into the woodwork.
http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... 191823.jpg
http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... 221926.jpg
A close-up of the "B&M RR" http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... 511870.jpg

That was quite a surprise to find!
  by b&m 1566

I have a picture of B&M's GP7 #1566 (which I got my screen name from), sitting at Madison Station; it had two baggage cars and one day coach. In the caption it states the train was bound for Intervale from Boston in 1954. If I ever remember, I will bring the picture to my wifes work, where it can be scanned into the computer and forwarded to you.
  by SilverLakeRailroad

I checked yesterday- we have that picture in the museum...
  by SilverLakeRailroad

The 2013 schedule is up. Hope B&M 1566 will visit over Memorial Day Weekend Again

2013 Schedule and Events

Memorial Day Weekend
May 25, 26, 27
SAT- 12, 1, 2 PM
SUN- 12, 1, 2 PM
MON- 12, 1, 2 PM

Laconia Bike Weekend’s
June 8, 9, 15, 16
SAT- 12, 1, 2 PM
SUN- 12, 1, 2 PM

Summer Season (11 Weekends)
June 21st – July. 28th
FRI- 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 (SUNSET) PM
SAT- 11AM, 12, 1, 2, 3 PM
SUN- 11AM, 12, 1, 2, 3 PM
August 2nd – September 1st
FRI- 4:30, 5:30, 6:30 (SUNSET) PM

Foliage Season (3 weekends)
September 28th – October 13th

-----EVENTS-----

Thursday July 4th- Train Rides
11AM, 12, 1, 2, 3 PM Departures

SLRR’s Seventh Birthday Celebration
Sunday July 7th
Rides by donation and free cake!

Heritage Day
Saturday July 27th-
Celebration of Railroad and Town History at the SLRR (details pending)

Madison Residents Appreciation Day
Day Pending August 3-11th
Potluck (hors d'oeuvres) in the Diner followed by a Sunset Train Ride

Circus and Trains Day Saturday
August 17th
Live Circus performance followed by a train ride. Circus performance
runs hourly from 10:30AM through 2:30 PM and is offered by donation!

Railfans Day Saturday
September 28th
Extra Train Departures for Railfans with special photo opportunities. All of our equipment will be in use for a lively day on the rails!

Columbus Day
Monday October 14th
Train Rides 11AM, 12, 1, 2, 3 PM
  by steamchaser

What`s the story on your steam engine on dsplay there? Looks like it`s in good shape on the outside anyway, any thoughts of getting it running?
  by SilverLakeRailroad

Just because something has a nice coat of paint doesn't mean it runs well or at all. Our guess is that it would take about 200,000 $ minimum to bring that to operational condition. She would need a complete rebuild.

I would love to see it, but I'm afraid that ones not going to happen. It looks pretty good though!
  by steamer69

SilverLakeRailroad wrote:Just because something has a nice coat of paint doesn't mean it runs well or at all. Our guess is that it would take about 200,000 $ minimum to bring that to operational condition. She would need a complete rebuild.
Will,
Where did you come up with that figure? Not busting your balls, but I know of no survey that you guys have done on that engine. Also remember that you guys are not FRA so you would not need to do a form 4 on it. Passumpsic #1 is running without a form 4. You guys would be the same way. Just curious.

SilverLakeRailroad wrote:Just because something has a nice coat of paint doesn't mean it runs well or at all.
MUST NOT SAY ANYTHING......MUST RESIST THE URGE........will not go there......will not go there......

I would be careful about the above quote. That opens up a WHOLE can of worms......
  by SilverLakeRailroad

Brett- that was an educated guess- not from me may I add.... Its no direct assessment of its needs but a ballpark estimate. She would need a complete overhaul, and its funny because I was talking with Bill about this yesterday- offering train rides by donation, this sort of project is simply not possible...
  by steamer69

Fair enough. Where there's a will there's a way. Projects like that are done by people who aren't even giving "rides by donation". Take a look at the Flagg Coal guys. If I were you guys (and I'm not) I would do a little discovery on it before you write it (or the possibility of it running) off. Remember, that you guys are not FRA so you don't have to do a full form 4 on it. All you have to do is a return to service inspection on it. Look at what the guys at Passumpsic did. Having a nice little enging like that would certainly draw more people.....and fill a void that's coming.
  by SilverLakeRailroad

Brett- you write the check and well get it going!