• Pinelawn Trash Transfer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by mikey cruz

Plate "F"I'm gonna say yes. btw glad that thing is goin to home shop because...........................damn LOL did somethin eat the bottom of it?
  by Ðauntless

mikey cruz wrote:Plate "F"I'm gonna say yes. btw glad that thing is goin to home shop because...........................damn LOL did somethin eat the bottom of it?
Yeah, the west switch at Pine Aire 4 years ago.
  by jayrmli

It can move as a Plate F on the Main Line as long as the height is not in excess of 17 feet.
  by Sir Ray

kamerad47 wrote:Does this car http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetai ... toID=48715 have to much height for this line?????
You guys are just being silly now - the caption for that railcar states: "Ex-KCLX 45241-45360, ACF Coalveyor with side extensions for C&D service". implying that former coal service cars are being used in C&D service. But Mr. Ken Patrick had clearly stated in a previous post:
KEN PATRICK wrote:C&d gons are not former coal cars
, so I'm afraid your just wrong (or perhaps Mr. Patrick is, nah, that can't be).

These C&D cars from former Coal Gons and Air Slides seem fairly straightforward to model, now the key is to find the base models (for me, HO Scale)
Atlas - Coalveyor Hoppers
Intermountain - Bathtub Gondolas (apparently based on a older Hawker-Siddeley design from the late 1960s, but not entirely sure, but the images sure match)
Walthers - Airslide Hoppers - the April 2011 issue of the on-line Model Rail Hobbyist has an article on converting the Airslides to the NS C&D hopper
  by tj48

kamerad47 wrote:Does this car http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetai ... toID=48715 have to much height for this line?????
Almost positive I've seen those cars heading up and down the grade between Wyandanch and Deer Park. I believe the C&D operation in Brentwood uses (used?) them. Always thought they looked very top heavy, especially when loaded.
  by RRJS3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive it was cars of those type that derailed and overturned on the west end of the DEF a few years back.
  by kamerad47

sir ray here is a pic of the one I build out of an old roundhouse kit ,those real cars are 16' 10'' H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by jayrmli

Cars similar to this one were the ones that derailed at Pineaire a few years back...but it had nothing to do with the height of the car. The car rolled away from the crew and went over the derail.
  by mikey cruz

Jayrmli: thanks for the info, so pate "F" is cool as long as it's under 17' and on the main.
  by KEN PATRICK

sir ray. given the strangeness of thought in the rail c&d business, i should have qualified my statement i.e. 'practical'. Many folk believe they can, through brute force, adapt existing railcars for waste-related business. It takes a period of losses to correct the mistake. I dealt with Regus on a new build of 150. Waste mgmt on both a new build and the BAR wood-chip car conversion (90) . modelers should look at the Regus cars as representative of what a C&D car should look like. Also, as posters here have intimated, the loads have a high center of gravity. I've always opined that c&d cog varies . It sometimes exceeds 78". Not really a problem except when bouncing over a derail . The grapple unloading is the profit killer. Ken Patrick
  by freightguy

Ken,

I can remember the DLRX wood chip cars. The light blue ones first spotted at Regus rail(also Jamaica Ash) went down in the shape of rectangles and when loaded took on more of a shape of diamonds. The cars were eventually reinforced and in time Regus got better at loading them and not bowing out the cars. The C&C woodchip and black REGX cars held up better and appeared stronger. Finally how things have changed in decade. Off the Bushwick you could have 30 cars of C&D and another 4 from BFI of waste paper. Now Waste mangagement ships MSW out of that faciltiy.
  by Ðauntless

Ken,
Sent you a private message.
  by AlKaLI

@KEN - Are you sure the C&D cars from Coastal are unloaded by a grapple? I think they are rotary dumped. If you look at the recent Google overhead shot, there are two strings of empty C&D cars. The bottoms of the cars look too clean to have two tons of waste left by the "grapple".
  by jayrmli

>Jayrmli: thanks for the info, so pate "F" is cool as long as it's under 17' and on the main.

Not sure what the procedure is now, but if you had one of these excess height cars, they would need to receive clearance from LIRR Engineering Department before being taken out on the main. The clearance form would state where the car had permission to travel to, and more importantly where it was prohibited from going. Crews were also instructed in the letter to call engineering the day of movement to ensure there were no temporary clearance issues (i.e. overhead cranes, etc.).

When cars were in a fleet (such as the C&D cars from Emjay), they would receive a blanket clearance.