Railroad Forums 

• Pinelawn Trash Transfer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1141722  by KEN PATRICK

alkal- Rotary-dumping is not possible with these cars. Sunny Farms landfill in Fostoria, the destination of most of these cars, does a grapple dig-out as does all the Ohio competition. It's relatively cheap if pricing permits the slow clean-out . Rotary tipping goes on at the King George landfill in Virginia and the SEMass burn plant in Massachusetts. In all cases, the decisions to do rotary tipping were flawed by little appreciation of the time-consuming process relative to MSW. It's not coal. My system was used at King George when the tipper went down. Tipping increased by 80%. Ken Patrick
 #1141750  by KEN PATRICK

Dauntless- I apologize. I could not send a PM to "dauntless". At the risk of using this topic inapproriately, the 5 sided container was used extensively in the Metro area. We loaded MSW, C&d, sludge & ash at Barretti, drayed to Cross Harbor , loaded on our 89' flats and floated to Greenville. We loaded MSW at Varrick on the Bushwick for tipping in Virginia. We started the waste-to-rail at the Harlem River Yard for tipping in Virginia. We started our bulk intermodal 5-sided container move in 1990 on the LIRR at Hicksville for LI trash. The folk at LIRR freight were wonderful in pricing and service.The 5 sided container answered all environmental concerns.The perceived drawback was the need for a 90 ton wheeloader to rotate the 21' up to 35 ton container. The wheeloader was too complicated for landfill personnel. I perhaps should have assumed the operation and maintenance of the wheeloaders. The waste companies opted for a swing gate container. I remain convinced that is an economic mistake. Ken Patrick
 #1148438  by tj48

Passed the New Highway worksite today. Trackwork is in full swing. The west leg of the wye has been relaid and connected to the tracks that cross New Highway into the Coastal site although the tracks in New Highway have not been rehabed yet. The tracks do not yet have all the ties under them, could look like every other tie is in place. Although there was trackwork in progress further west I did not have enough time to see what the layout was nor could I see if there was any connection made to the mainline.
 #1148600  by freightguy

There probably won't be any connection to the main. That would be big bucks and have to be reinstalled possibly with the double track project in a couple of years. The switch should come right off PW long siding with some switch backs into the Picone area. Sounds like from what you guys describe maybe service by late spring or summer. I'm guessing more cars added to the RS 80 on top of Marjam and Coastal at night.
 #1148638  by tj48

My gaff....I meant to say the siding.
 #1149333  by AlKaLI

My turn to pass by New HIghway today. Trackwork is still continuing. Additional ties have been laid down but not ballasted yet. There is a section of panel track along the siding where the switch branched off for the west leg of the wye. Looks as though as that switch will be removed. Like tj48 I couldn't tell the exact layout further west. The new siding looks like it runs all the way west but can't tell if there will be additional switches for the asphalt plant.

Coastal Distribution is still busy loading an average of 10 cars/day. Loaded CDEX and FWTX cars were ready for pickup.
 #1150972  by AlKaLI

Will try to get pictures tomorrow. Today's rain would have made it tough. Passed by today and now I see there will be an additional switch and siding for the asphalt plant towards the west. Also where the panel track section had been on the ground, a right hand switch awaits to be installed. Looking at the new siding, there is a new switch installed. So it looks like there will be a right hand cross-over installed from the existing double-ended siding along the LIRR main into the new trackwork.
It looks like that an additional run around track will be formed.
I'll try to get pictures. I think it will be easier than my explanation.
 #1163902  by AlKaLI

Take a look at LIRR Forum "Work on Farmingdale wye" I posted some pictures there. I'll add one more here

On 3-20-13, Coastal had the usual 10-15 cars loaded - CDEX and FWTX cars this time
Attachments:
New Highway looking west
(257.58 KiB) Downloaded 3293 times
 #1167059  by tj48

Happened to pass by today. Was only able to get a quick look but they have begun to ballast the tracks. It looked like the track along side the warehouse leading up to New Highway has been done. A Hi-rail dump truck with a swivel dump bed is on site.
 #1168006  by mwichten

They are using the west leg of the wye inside the gate. I passed by tonight and saw at least one car on the curve inside the gate. Also, on the west side of the crossing there are trash cars lined up on the back track so it looks like the new tracks are in use. Geeps working Coastal right now but it is pitch black out there to see numbers, etc. At Pinelawn waiting to see if they come east.
 #1168195  by freightguy

The cars were usually placed on the west to keep the wind and dust blowing all around inside the building area there...
 #1168203  by freightguy

The cars were usually placed on the west to keep the wind and dust blowing all around inside the building area there...
 #1169937  by AlKaLI

I agree with freightguy. The one car inside of Coastal's fenced-in property seems to be always parked there as a windbreak. I passed by Coastal on Wednesday evening and saw that the new switch has not been installed from the PW siding into the new trackage so I don't think the new tracks are operational. Mwichten, what you probably saw was the RS-80 switching Coastal. Standard practice lately is to arrive around 9:30 PM and they cut empty cars just west of New Highway on the existing PW siding. Then the power runs east pulls out the usual 10-15 loads on both tracks from Coastal and then returns to spot the empties.

I hope to pass by there this weekend and check up on the progress of the new trackwork. Wed. saw the rail crane and dump truck still there.