• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by R36 Combine Coach

Tadman wrote: That's a great example of the P-S stainless over carbon. . Why bother with the stainless, why not just go carbon?
Eventually Pullman figured out and built all stainless cars: R46s and Superliners, and St. Louis did so with Silverliner III and Arrow I (Comaro). I'm guessing the license from Budd was worked out by then.
  by Alcochaser

Pullman made some cars in the late 50s that were all stainless. There are a few PVs running around that are of this construction.
  by D.Carleton

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Tadman wrote: That's a great example of the P-S stainless over carbon. . Why bother with the stainless, why not just go carbon?
Eventually Pullman figured out and built all stainless cars: R46s and Superliners, and St. Louis did so with Silverliner III and Arrow I (Comaro). I'm guessing the license from Budd was worked out by then.
Oddly enough Budd allowed P-S to use their shot-weld process for free, not that it did them any good in the long run. The first car is still around. As already mentioned P-S used the process for the Superliners and much later the shells for the first Viewliners were built at the former Pullman shops in Chicago for M-K (just to bring this thread full circle).
  by gokeefe

It is amazing to think that it has taken 45+ years for Amtrak to replace all of their Heritage equipment.
  by ngotwalt

Don't forget the Metroliners, still kicken.

Nick
  by John_Perkowski

gokeefe wrote:It is amazing to think that it has taken 45+ years for Amtrak to replace all of their Heritage equipment.
To my way of thinking, it's a testament to the quality of the Edward G Budd Manufacturing Company!

Anyone care to bet how long the V-II fleet will last?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Get three more cars on the property, and the Lake Shore could have full-service dining restored. There would be one protect car that presumably would live at SSY. There could be two if needed from a 98-49 switchout at same and/or v.v.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Assignments to consists are the operating departments task.
  by ngotwalt

We need five more cars for diners on the LSL. The Crescent currently needs four as does SM. There are currently 3 VIIs and the VI in service, plus two more VIIs in preacceptance inspections. That would give us six, now in actuality something kind of interesting is about to happen, in that the Crescent should go from four transits to three, over the summer while its curtailed to DC. That means that with the next two diners arriving on property, should come the ability to cover all departures and have a spare. Hopefully by the time the Crescent makes its Triumphant return to NYC, there will be enough diners for the LSL as well.
Cheers,
Nick
  by Matt Johnson

John_Perkowski wrote: Anyone care to bet how long the V-II fleet will last?
I hope if I'm reincarnated within the next century or two, I might get to ride on them in excursion service at least, maybe on a historic dinner train somewhere! :)
  by Champlain Division

the Crescent should go from four transits to three, over the summer while its curtailed to DC.
Whuchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

I just checked the Amtrak website and there is no service alert posted as of yet concerning the Crescent. Can you be more specific?
  by OrangeGrove

Champlain Division wrote:
the Crescent should go from four transits to three, over the summer while its curtailed to DC.
Whuchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

I just checked the Amtrak website and there is no service alert posted as of yet concerning the Crescent. Can you be more specific?
During the work at Penn Station New York, the Crescent will terminate in Washington and there will be a modified schedule for train 19 southbound; This will permit the train to operate with only three sets of equipment instead of the normally required four.