• Vietnam Railways

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by lothes19

Dear group,

My wife and I spent our spring break in Vietnam, which included riding the railway from Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) to Hanoi. The trip takes 30 hours if done all together, but we split it into two segments, stopping off at Hue and Hoi An near the middle. We got to ride over the highly-scenic Hai Van Pass twice, and I was also able to take a taxi on the old road over the pass, stopping for some photography along the way.

If you're not familiar with Hai Van Pass, it surely must be one of the most scenic train rides in Southeast Asia. The meter gauge line clings to densely-forested hillsides as it winds high above the sea, passing pristine beaches, crossing high stone bridges and going through several tunnels.

I've posted a short video clip on Youtube. The quality's not very good, but it should give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKDWxAKWGZ4

At the present time, there are seven pairs of passenger trains over the pass every day, with the majority operating in daylight. The older, slower through trains (TN1-4 and TN6-7) get a helper (banker) on the rear, while the newer express trains (SE1-6) have more powerful locomotives that can make the run unassisted. I also observed several freight trains (on both of my rides, we passed two freights), all of which operated with a helper.

I highly recommend a ride on this railway to anyone who ever has a chance to visit the area. Don't delay, though, as the government plans to replace the long, twisting pass with a tunnel. I have yet to see a timeline, but I'm guessing it will take at least a few years.

I also had a good time exploring the railway around Hanoi, where the tracks often run through backalleys, the trains passing literally within arm's reach of houses and apartments. The Long Bien bridge over the Red River is a very impressive structure, and I was able to photograph several trains crossing it. Early mornings are a good time, as the city is a little less hectic, and there are three northbound departures crossing the bridge between 6:00 and 6:30.

I observed no freight trains over the bridge, but noted another bridge to the northwest, and possibly a third bridge to the southeast. I'm guessing one of those is used as a freight bypass. The entire railway network around Hanoi is rather confusing, as lines branch off in several directions and two different track gauges are used (meter and standard). Futhermore, not all trains listed as departing from Hanoi actually depart from Hanoi station. Some use Long Bien station on the south side of the bridge, and still others use Gia Lam station on the north side.

If anyone would like to know more about Vietnam's railways, I'll do my best to help you. And if any of you can better explain operations around Hanoi, please enlighten me!

Best regards,

Scott Lothes
Muroran, Hokkaido, Japan

by David Benton

Thanks scott , for an interesting report . I think my next overseas trip will be to Vietnam . There , or Indonesia , which may be a bit risky at the moment . Is it possible to do the entire lenght in Daylight ?

by lothes19

David,

Yes, it is possible to do the whole line in daylight, although it will take four days if you want to see every kilometer.

Going south to north:

TN2, Saigon (10:05) to Nha Trang (18:48)
SE4, Nha Trang (5:40) to Hue (16:33)
SE6, Hue (8:08) to Ninh Binh (18:32)
TN8, Ninh Binh (9:35) to Hanoi (12:05)

If you're pressed for time, just take SE6 all the way from Saigon to Hanoi (32 hours) and you'll still get to see 60% of the country by daylight.

Scott
  by railfilm

Hi

I spent in 2002 15 days on Vietnam railways, mainly north of Hanoi. With a small group we made a trip on every 4 lines from Hanoi always up to the end or to the border station. Both lines connecting Vietnam to China are quite interesting, similar to the south connection.

Some pictures from the trip are here:

http://groups.msn.com/FERKELLINES/willkommen.msnw

I have also a 60 minutes video from the trip.

ET
Austria

by lothes19

ET,

It looks like you had a great trip! Did your group charter a steam train? I really would have enjoyed seeing the lines north of Hanoi. I'd love to see your video sometime...

Scott Lothes
Japan

by railfilm

lothes19 wrote:ET,

It looks like you had a great trip! Did your group charter a steam train? I really would have enjoyed seeing the lines north of Hanoi. I'd love to see your video sometime...

Scott Lothes
Japan
Hi Scott

yes we did. Originally we asked for 2 steam locos (because of missing turntables on the end of the lines) but the second one was in a very bad condition. For this reason we had a diesel to pull us back to the next possible station where we could turn the steamer.
Unfortunately we had a very bad weather (rain almost everyday) but the film is quite good. Today I would make it even better....
Send me a private message regarding the video.