• Very strange locomotive (WLO2)

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by jmonner

It is a U36B but not CSX's despite the paint job. It is privately owned by the Massuchusetts Call/Volunteer Firefighters Assoc. or MCVX. If Locos follow rolling stock namenclature then MCV is as explained above and the X means that the owner is not a railroad vs T which would mean they are. Thus CSXT on CSX stock vs say HCLX.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... x?id=67665
  by railrob

It was WLO1. The reporting marks belong to "The Firefighters Education and Training Foundation" based in W. Springfield MA. Only non AC loco roaming CSX with lighting bolts on it. And in this case, the paint matches its legal owner.

jmonner wrote:It is a U36B but not CSX's despite the paint job. It is privately owned by the Massuchusetts Call/Volunteer Firefighters Assoc. or MCVX. If Locos follow rolling stock namenclature then MCV is as explained above and the X means that the owner is not a railroad vs T which would mean they are. Thus CSXT on CSX stock vs say HCLX.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... x?id=67665

by NorfolkSouthernSean

The WLO1 got replaced by WLO2, a B36-7. Former CSX 5829.

by pharmerphil54

Isn't WLO the reporting marks for the Waterloo RR , aMississippian short line?

by NorfolkSouthernSean

WLO - Waycross LOad test. It's basically a load test unit at the Waycross Shops in Georgia. It doesn't leave the property.

by Tadman

If I remember right, those U36B's were a seaboard order and autotrain bought four as a tack-on to the SCL order. I also remember reading in trains mag that the crews didn't like 'em too much.

by lvrr325

WLO1 was the SCL Bicentennial unit. Not many of those left anymore, hopefully when the firefighters are done with it it finds a new home somewhere else.

by railrob

As it was explained to me when we got it, MCVX 7764 was delivered from GE as SCL 1976. It ran for a brief time with that number until the idea of the bi cen unit came up. SCL had GE paint a later unit in the order with the bicent paint and the number 1976.
The original 1976 was renumbered.
So yes it was SCL 1976, just not THE 1976. THE 1976 was scrapped .
It will be one the road for a long time.

by ACLfan2

IVR225,

The WLO1 was NOT the bicentennial locomotive!

Yes, it was originally numbered # 1776.

But a "head shed" decision was made for the next GE locomotive coming through the paint booths to be painted in the Bicentennial paint scheme, and to re# it as # 1776.

# 1813 was the lucky loco, and the numbers were exchanged, with # 1776 becoming # 1813, and # 1813 was given # 1776.

So, loco # 1776 was robbed of its glory of being the Bicentennial loco, but it got some redemption by outlasting all of its sister locos, including # 1813 / 1776!
There was no corporate effort undertaken to preserve the former Bicentennial locomotive. So, it may be razor blades or part of a dishwasher! Who knows!?!

ACLfan2

by joshuahouse

May I ask what this fire birgade does with their locomotive? Is it some unique investment they decided to make or is it used for training at times and used as a leaser at others?

by Bryanjones

joshuahouse wrote:May I ask what this fire birgade does with their locomotive? Is it some unique investment they decided to make or is it used for training at times and used as a leaser at others?
the locomotive is used as a training tool to train various various agencies which may respond to an accident. It is not operable. They have a few freight cars as well used for these training purposes.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY