• (Very Short) M4 Car At 49th & Woodland SEPTA Depot

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SubwayTim

On Saturday while I was riding the Rt. 11 trolley, I noticed what appeared to be a very short or half of a Market-Frankford Line M4 car at the SEPTA 49th and Woodland maintenance facility. Can anyone tell me what it is, and/or what it's used for??? Do M4 cars get serviced there?

by Frankford5758

I remember seeing half an M4 car at Midvale a few years ago, i think it may be a mock up of an M4 car.

by PhillyBoy890

I tend to see a M4 car at the Woodland Depot....i also sometimes see one of the Media-Sharon Hill Cars there sometimes..and i always say
"It would be cool if they just mixed the fleet up a bit"

by benltrain

PhillyBoy890 wrote:I tend to see a M4 car at the Woodland Depot....i also sometimes see one of the Media-Sharon Hill Cars there sometimes..and i always say
"It would be cool if they just mixed the fleet up a bit"
trolley wires/pantographs (is this a problem?), wasting double ended cars on a single directional route, sorry, probably won't happen.

however, the SS lrvs have found their way on other philly trolley routes.
  by Silverliner II

SubwayTim wrote:On Saturday while I was riding the Rt. 11 trolley, I noticed what appeared to be a very short or half of a Market-Frankford Line M4 car at the SEPTA 49th and Woodland maintenance facility. Can anyone tell me what it is, and/or what it's used for??? Do M4 cars get serviced there?
You saw the mockup of the M4 car that was paraded around 1234 and 69th Street for display back in the mid-1990's.

But on occasion, they will truck Market-Frankford equipment to Woodland for heavy work. Not sure if the new shop facilities at 69th Street will put an end to that or not.....